DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Gen Ram Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech-64/)
-   -   New tires soon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/90693-new-tires-soon.html)

Ram_Sport 01-24-2007 07:02 PM

New tires soon

my tires are having severe traction issues in the snow and its getting should i say uncontrollable.

looking for sure at two tires now, the nitto terra grappler http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-295...spagenameZWDVW
and the toyo open country a/t http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LT-28...spagenameZWDVW

really really really REALLY!!! want 295 or something big that will fit under my 3" lift cause 285s fit on stock but i want bigger then 285 cause i have the lift, i want to find them super cheap and on ebay is where im finding them this cheap but im prly gona buy them from a store,

feel free to comment me on this as i need some assistance as i have never used a toyo or nitto tire b4.. gimme something guys plz, thanks in advance.

landarch96 01-24-2007 07:35 PM

RE: New tires soon

If you have the 3" lift, go with 315's. They will fit on stock rims with only minimal rubbing on sharp turns.

loot87 01-24-2007 07:49 PM

I don't know if they have the size you want, but I had the same traction issues with all of the snow in Denver this year. I went with Yokahama Geolander AT/S 285s and they're awesome.

Ram_Sport 01-24-2007 08:00 PM

i would love to go 315's but how sure are ya that they will fit cause i have heard otherwise and i want to be 100%

mattyge 01-24-2007 08:27 PM

i've heard good things about toyo's seem to be a popular choice these days, personally i like bridgestone's but i don't think they sell them in your size

Ram_Sport 01-24-2007 08:30 PM

any word on compatibility w/ 315s cause if they fit w/ only minimal rubbing on like a control arm at lock its good, but i wont do if it gonna rub on anything else, ie, fender wheel well, i know our 97 rubbed on the lower control arm at full lock w/ 285s on stock it was 4x4.. so if its just control arms its ok otherwise i aint doing it... but 315s :) that would be awesome, now to just find out if they will fit...

kayakman 01-24-2007 11:31 PM

www.jetzon.com/catalogs/catalogs/DickCepek.pdf

badram1500 01-24-2007 11:42 PM

Have had both tires on mine. The toyo wasn't bad for traction but ran into a cracking issue. Toyo replaced them. Less than 4000 miles later same problem. Not talking about a little weather checking but large cracks in the side walls. Replaced with the Nitto, About the same traction as the toyo but wore quickly. Not a good gravel tire, very soft, chewed up quick. Switched t the BFG a/t's got about 7000 miles on and they still look new. So far the best tire I've had. Don't know what sizes are available but the web site will list.

Aubrey 01-25-2007 01:14 AM

You can get 305/70/16s on it without a problem. I have a 3" lift and am running 35s on mine but had to trim the plastic tubs. The 305s go on in the winter but I wheeled with them before the lift on stock wheels and never had a rubbing issue.
The 305s are Pro Comp A/Ts. Got them when they were advertised as a 40k mile tire (now 50k). Got that. Wheeled them and cut them and bashed them. No problems. Awesome tire in snow and pretty dang good on ice. Not good for slush though. They are now worn down to the wear lines and I've gotten around here in Denver through all of our blizzards this year with absolutely no problems at all.

topsites 01-25-2007 01:29 AM

Look man, finding cheap performance tires is a little bit like finding a dietary deluxe pizza w/ smothered french fries.
As you might guess, Free won't happen...
But, try these:

KUMHO Road Venture AT KL78 Off-Road All-Terrain

I think you'll save a teenie bundle of 20's and while they're not high performance but they are good all around tires!
If you don't like that one, keep shopping tirerack, but likely it's between that and maybe one other choice (price being an issue lol).

Other notes:
While a wider tire can increase traction, you're already asking for increased tire wear in the turns with your current footprint...
> While a differential offers slip resistance, there exists no such thing from the inside to the outside of one tire, thus a very wide tire's inside will wear faster than the outside during some turns and vice-versa.
In addition, you can also plan to switch rims and re-calibrate your speedometer, as this will be affected.
However, should you decide to research this further, the two tire sizes that will fit the rims your current tire is on and affect your speedometer by such a tiny margin that you shouldn't have to worry about it would be the:
>
275 / 80 -16 and 295 / 70 - 16 (if such animals exist, it is but a play on numbers).
(note that the change in the 2nd number counteracts the effect the first number has on your speedo to a point).

Yes, this can be done as in the above example, either Increase the first number by 1 step and decrease the 2nd by 1 (slightly wider), or vice versa (slightly narrower). On one of my cars, OEM tires are 195 / 65 -14 but I run 205 / 60's... I could run 185 / 70's but I want the little extra width, and yes it is noticeable (and also makes the tire hard to find lol).

btw, I refuse to buy a tire with any consumer rating below excellent (no yellow rated crap for me).