2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

440 Magnum Upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 11:54 PM
Nando Vazquez
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 440 Magnum Upgrade!

I found a 440 Magnum with transmission for sale. He is asking $400 for both. The old man claims they both work fine. I just want to know if it is possible to put the engine in a 1999 Ram 1500. Would I need to do any serious modifications to the body? If so, what would I need to do.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:01 AM
BIGRED97
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it will fit, i dont think the engine mounts will fit, so some modifications there. and well you will have to figure out something to do with the computer. see how everything is computer run, but a 440 is carb.

i believe someone else on here has some plans, and done research into how well this will work.

just curious what year is the combo? what did it come out of? and what tranny is it?

Old 04-13-2010, 01:03 AM
Nando Vazquez
Veteran

The truck is a 1999 1500, the car it is coming off of is a 1971 Charger I think Im not sure. I dont know anything about the transmission except that it was the original that came with the motor. The motor seems in overall good shape, and so does the tranny. What other info about the car should I ask about/

Old 04-13-2010, 07:33 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you cant say a tranny and motor look good if you havent heard them run. a visual look doesnt tell you whats going on on the inside.

If you can get some pics of it....sorry to say, and not trying to be rude, but theres a lot of people that makes these kind of threads and then dont do anything...so i dont believe anyone when they say they are going to do some big project....unless you prove me otherwise with pics....98% chance this wont get done....thats my Honest Opinion.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:42 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The person with the plans would be me...

Things that would need fabricated up:

1. Motor Mounts
2. Transmission Mounts
3. Custom Driveshaft
4. Wiring harness
5. Gauges

Things to think about:

1. If you're 4x4, that transmission is not, so consider the work there.
2. You'll probably have to adapt the fuel system. I'm not too sure that the fuel pump we have now will handle the thirst of a 440.
3. You're probably going to need a whole new suspension. Not just to deal with the weight, but something with a little more nimbleness to it than what we get from the factory.
4. That 9.25 axle will probably have to be replaced with something a little more sturdy..

Keep in mind, there are many things I've left out of this, but they are things that either A. I haven't thought of yet or B. things I plan on working through during the install process.

440 mags when coupled with a 727, are damn near bullet proof. They are reliable as hell to boot. Not to mention, when you start comparing the build up costs from a 318/360 to a 440, it is much cheaper to build the big block up rather than the the small block.

440 parts: http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/bb.html

Old 04-13-2010, 01:17 PM
wjxavier
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Nando Vazquez
The truck is a 1999 1500, the car it is coming off of is a 1971 Charger I think Im not sure. I dont know anything about the transmission except that it was the original that came with the motor. The motor seems in overall good shape, and so does the tranny. What other info about the car should I ask about/

my question to you Sir is why would you want it OUT of the '71 charger, lol. i'd take the whole car and build THAT haha

Old 04-13-2010, 01:26 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

i agree....but i love classics...but i love my Ram as well, so i can see why he might want to do it.

Old 04-13-2010, 01:38 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
The person with the plans would be me...

Things that would need fabricated up:

1. Motor Mounts
2. Transmission Mounts
3. Custom Driveshaft
4. Wiring harness
5. Gauges

Things to think about:

1. If you're 4x4, that transmission is not, so consider the work there.
2. You'll probably have to adapt the fuel system. I'm not too sure that the fuel pump we have now will handle the thirst of a 440.
3. You're probably going to need a whole new suspension. Not just to deal with the weight, but something with a little more nimbleness to it than what we get from the factory.
4. That 9.25 axle will probably have to be replaced with something a little more sturdy..

Keep in mind, there are many things I've left out of this, but they are things that either A. I haven't thought of yet or B. things I plan on working through during the install process.

440 mags when coupled with a 727, are damn near bullet proof. They are reliable as hell to boot. Not to mention, when you start comparing the build up costs from a 318/360 to a 440, it is much cheaper to build the big block up rather than the the small block.

440 parts: http://www.mopartsracing.com/parts/bb.html

I think the OP has a 2wd or at least it looks like it is and he doesn't say 4x4 in his sig.

Like you said the fuel pump will probably have to be upgraded or modified. It may be able to deliver enough fuel at 6psi for a carb but a lot of modification will be needed.

The 9.25 rear will probably not have to be upgraded. It is a very stout axle, and it can handle more torque than a 30 spline dana 60. The charger probably has the 8 3/4 or 9 1/4 in it.

In the front you could upgrade to Diesel/V10 springs to handle the weight, although they may not be the best for handling.

Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion

gere, you may have a point, but I'm looking at it from the stance that once he gets this motor in the truck, he will then probably start adding power adders into the mix, and the 9 1/4 axle wont take the abuse. I can shred my axle in a day if I want to on the 318 motor that I have. It's all in the eye of the beholder I guess. If things go the way I foresee, I'll be needing a 70 dana or a ford axle. Not quite sure at the moment.

Old 04-15-2010, 12:29 AM
Nando Vazquez
Veteran

Originally Posted by 95RAM360
you cant say a tranny and motor look good if you havent heard them run. a visual look doesnt tell you whats going on on the inside.

If you can get some pics of it....sorry to say, and not trying to be rude, but theres a lot of people that makes these kind of threads and then dont do anything...so i dont believe anyone when they say they are going to do some big project....unless you prove me otherwise with pics....98% chance this wont get done....thats my Honest Opinion.
Its something I REALLY want to do, but to be honest I know its gonna be alot of money. Im just a freshman in college so money is scarce. I wanna see the engine run because for the price it seems to good to be true.

Quick Reply: 440 Magnum Upgrade!