2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Pan Missing Bolt/Stripped Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 05:59 PM
Rasta9615004x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Pan Missing Bolt/Stripped Thread

Hey everyone,

96 1500 5.9 4x4 Automatic

1. I’m new to all this mechanic stuff and to dodge

2. I over torqued one of the bolts on my tranny pan and stripped the receiver threads, not the bolt. Didn’t realize til after the pan was already up in place with gasket sealant and every other bolt torqued. It was the last bolt that had the issue of course. I went and got all the stuff to retap the threads but I accidentally left all the stuff in my brothers truck and he left for the week. I need to get to work so could I fill it with fluid even though it’s missing a bolt? Would a single missing bolt cause it to leak badly? All the other ones are torqued to spec so I’m hoping it would hold for the week. Used RTV for the gasket and it has cured the 24hrs.

Thank you for the advice in advance.

Old 01-26-2020, 07:26 PM
Torxhead
Veteran
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You will have to find out the hard way as to weather it will leak or not. It just might work though, if it does you could insert a screw just larger than the bolt is. As for repairing it, you could insert a heli-coil to repair the threads or drill it out an tap a larger thread in its place. Be careful as not to do a redrill too deep. The internet is loaded with ways to fix stripped out threads:https://dsportmag.com/the-tech/three...maged-threads/

Old 01-29-2020, 09:52 PM
Rasta9615004x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up having to helicoil the transmission flange and put on a new transmission oil pan. It leaked with the one missing but I also did my gasket wrong.

Quick Reply: Transmission Pan Missing Bolt/Stripped Thread