2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Windshield wiper problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008 | 10:04 PM
oiler
|
Professional
Default Windshield wiper problem

My 1999 dodge 1500's wipers only work on constant or full speed. None of the intermitant speeds work. Any ideas?

Old 08-19-2008 | 10:46 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

there's 2 possibilities,

there is a part of the motor that controls the delay function. How to fix it has been discussed before, use the search function to find it.

the "dimmer" switch on the steering wheel is done.

Old 08-20-2008 | 07:20 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

when you say the intermittents don't work, do you mean they don't work at all, nada, or they work at a fast delay and the delay is not adjustable ?

multifunction switch on steering column is a variable resistor that sends a signal to the central timing module CTM. the CTM then turns the 12 volt signal on/off to the low speed wiper relay.

several seemingly unimportant fuses interact with the CTM, which is also the chimer/dinger thingy. especially the fuse for power windows or door locks or something. check all those first.

see if this helps.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-ram-tech/64381-wipers-again.html

DO NOT REMOVE END OF DASH FUSE 13 (PWR LOCK) IT PLAYS CRITICAL ROLE IN INTERMITTENT WIPER TIMING DELAY. hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 08-20-2008 at 07:25 AM.
Old 08-20-2008 | 08:37 PM
oiler
|
Professional

Son of @#$##! I took the #13 out because the power door locks were malfuntioning. I got tired of the actuator noise. I'm going outside to put it back in right now. I'll let you know if it works.

Old 08-20-2008 | 08:51 PM
oiler
|
Professional

Success!!! I never imagined. I've only had the truck 3 weeks and 2 of those it was trying to get the reman tranny right. So far a good project though, with many more questions to come I'm sure. Thanks for the help guys.

Old 08-20-2008 | 10:42 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

i wasted 3 weeks, $200, at least 2 cases of beer, and half my brain waves screwing around with that... i'd like to kill the son of bitch engineer that decided to pull power out of fuse #13 for the intermittent wiper function. hey - i'm glad you got it fixed.

did you notice fuse #13 out stopped the key in switch/open door dinger. unfortunately it kills all dingers, including low fuel. you can remove the little electrical connector from the ignition switch to kill it with no adverse side effects, except the time to remove the column covers.

Old 08-20-2008 | 11:12 PM
Visious 318
Professional

Mine works on hi/low but intermittent only part of the time and they never return to the home position they just stop were ever they are. Very annoying to me but Will the radio fuse on the side of the dash do this? I noticed that someone has pulled it but some how my radio still works properly.

Old 08-20-2008 | 11:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

unlikely the radio fuse is involved, but you never know - try it.

the return of the wiper to the bottom of the windshield is called the "park circuit". see my link above for a full description and wire color, i think it was blue. provided that you have a 12v constant on the park circuit during both hi and low speed - then a working wiper motor will rotate to the park position. if it doesn't park, then the motor is probably bad. you can replace it for a few dollars, or just get real good at turning them off in the proper position.

Old 08-21-2008 | 12:07 AM
Visious 318
Professional

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
get real good at turning them off in the proper position.
I have got good at doing this

Old 08-21-2008 | 09:16 PM
oiler
|
Professional

I would never consider 2 cases of beer a waste no matter what the situation. As for the dinger I think I'll keep that do to the fact that I've been known to leave the keys in the ignition. I think I got my dome lights back when I plugged #13 in as well.

Quick Reply: Windshield wiper problem