2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anybody switch to electric fan?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2009, 11:52 AM
jusfuris
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default anybody switch to electric fan?

Has anybody switched their fan to electric an electric one? If so did you notice any horsepower increase? and also was it a pain to do?

I think i need to replace my fan soon anyway, its making a weird rattling noise and rocks back and forth when i grab one of the fins and shake it.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yep, didnt notice much of a hp gain,but it seemed to rev up a little faster. a cannt really remember how long it took now. i think it was like 3 or 4 hrs. it really wsnt that hard.the only thing i had a problem with was getting the clutch fan off. they make a tool that you can borrow from most autoparts stores. i suggest using it. you want to make sure you get one that flows atleast 3000cfm.

couple nice things-it never gets hot even when its over 100* out. and the truck warms up faster in the winter because it doesnt kick on till it gets to your desired setting.

couple things i donnt like-its loud. and it kicks on and off alot. kinda annoying.

would i do it again? probably,but it wouldnt be on top of my list.

let me find you the link to the one i have.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:06 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

here it is. this is also where i purchased it. fasting shipping from anywhere i have ever purchased. when you add it to your cart it is like 250$.

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...products_id=15

Old 01-27-2009, 12:27 PM
RM_Indy
Record Breaker

When I added the Flexalite 210b fans (blue/2500cfm) going to the track, knocked off .05 off my 60' average (decent gain off the line) but only gave .08 off avg 1/4m ets. At the time of adding them my race wt was down to about 3870lbs (mid 01). Taller, heavier trucks would not see as much gain. As far as performance mods go, it was down at the bottom of my list for most improvements in 1/4m ets. That said, I would do it again though, allows me to stand between pulleys and fans while working on the engine. Also at the time, it was the mod that got my first 13sec et (13.99/stock 5.9/bolt ons only/Oct01)

City driving you will notice it more. With only 2500cfm on mine and the 180 stat, seldom comes on unless stuck in traffic. The 2500cfm is fine for a r/c s/b 4x2 thats used as a toy more than truck. Guys I know in AZ similar truck to mine have no problems with those fans & heat if running 180stats.

Old 01-27-2009, 12:48 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you think one of these things would do for the mud? worth it? and how hard is it to put in one of those 180 stats? i have heard the are on most of our trucks and i dont even know what it is.

Old 01-27-2009, 01:13 PM
jusfuris

my truck is a 2001 4x4 5.2 sport with the off road package and 33 inch tires. Im not sure i will bother with this mod if it doesnt give much by way of horsepower. Im a little strapped for cash, college student. so unless it'll be noticeable increase in power ill just replace it with another stock type since theyre only about $70. thanks for the replies

Old 01-27-2009, 02:13 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

if i remember right. guys are using ones from the salvage yard off of a mark 8.....i think thats the right one. donnt know anything about it though. do a search you might come up with something.

Old 01-27-2009, 02:16 PM
talon6
Record Breaker

180 stat-is a 180 degree thermostat. there has been a tread on this in the last couple days. some get codes,some donnt.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:29 AM
PartsChaser
Professional

I ended up building my own shroud, and got 2 16'' fans from ebay ($50) that flow a ton of air. I chose not to do the relay setup to kick on at a preset temp, I just wired mine to a switch, so I can control it manually (gotta pay attention though).

Combined with a 180 T-stat my truck hasnt run hot since. Also, in addition to the heater being better in the winter (quicker warm up) the AC really kicks butt in the summer now, more air flow pulling through the condenser. All the way around it was a good move for me.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
EaRSh0T

i am thinking of doing this to my truck as well, not for preformance but for extra cooling, i want a thin style aux fan that i can put in between the stock fan and radiator, then i can kick it on when ever i want to have some extra cooling while sitting in traffic. The one already posted looks good for a replacement for the stock one but not so good for a aux fan. any one have any links for a more backup style fan?

Quick Reply: anybody switch to electric fan?