2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

leaking front axle

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 07:56 PM
canwrench
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leaking front axle

I have a 2001 1500 4x4 off road package. I have found diff fluid dripping off of the drivers side knuckle. Where can I find a print of the front axle assembly?
Thanks for any help you can give.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 07-23-2009, 10:13 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i feel your pain, i still need to put mine back together. i pulled it apart because of the same seal. and i'm lazy so its still on blocks.

that pavement sucks article is a really good one but i did one thing different. to get the carrier out i backed my dads truck up to mine with the hitch lined up with the front differential and i put a small chain around the carrier then hooked a come a long to the chain. i was laying under the truck to catch the carrier while my dad slowly cranked the come a long.

the carrier is pretty hefty (i'd guess about 45 lbs) so be careful not to drop it when it clears the housing. also make sure you have your intermediate axle pulled out of the carrier all the way or you won't be able to get the carrier out.

one last thing, to get the hub nuts off make sure you use penetrating fluid before you try and use about a 3 foot section of pipe on the breaker bar so you won't get a hernia. my brother in law took his to a shop because he couldn't break it free with a 1/2" breaker bar. i told him to get a 3/4" breaker bar with a cheater bar and some penetrating fluid, but he's stubborn and too far away for me to go get it off for him.

good penetrating fluids are CRC Knock'er Loose, Cyclo Breakaway, AeroKroil (Kroil oil). <--these will take a few minutes of spraying and tapping before the nut will come off (tap to set up vibration to work it into the threads faster)

so/so penetrating fluids are liquid wrench, pb blaster and wd 40. <--these will take a couple days of spraying and tapping before they penetrate.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 07-23-2009 at 10:16 AM.

Quick Reply: leaking front axle