2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Will not start, Gauges do not read, Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 08:37 AM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your running around like a chicken with its head cut off with all that testing.which has nothing to do with your issue.the codes you got out the odo are not P(POWERTRAIN)codes.there CCD(CHRYSLER COLLISION DETECTION)data bus codes.this is the communication betwen all onboard systems i.e abs,airbag,pcm,cluster.holding the trip meter why turn key on will start the actuator cluster test.if any gauge fails to sweep the cluster is bad.no dvom is going to test for this only a drb3.code 950 is your abs you unplugged.plug it back in and remove the relay code may go away.other codes have to do with cluster not recieving from the pcm. pull the cluster for any bad connections.cluster fuses. do you have a FSM?if you do its all under cluster.cluster is vehicle specific.

Last edited by stands2p; 07-26-2010 at 08:40 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Adam Sorensen (05-07-2020)
Old 07-27-2010, 02:04 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It really can be a number of different things here. The thing that is odd with those is that he had quite a few codes in that system which leads me to believe those are being thrown due to a failure in another system. In this case here, He's got too many 3-digit codes and, absent is the NO BUS code.

P0900 - Clutch Actuator OPEN CKT
P0920 - Gear Shift Forward Actuator OPEN CKT
P0921 - Gear Shift Forward Actuator RANGE CKT
P0950 - Auto Shift Manual Control CKT
P0999 - Shift Solenoid Control CKT HI

Case in point: I've had a friend who has a 99 back east and went through a similar problem as this fella here and, it was a powertrain problem: LOW VOLTAGE SENSE thus not adequate voltage to the PCM thus shutting it down, thus wiping out all codes thus, the reason for NO BUS was NEVER displayed, no powertrain codes displayed and, all the 3-digit codes along with a flashing ODO.
The root problem in that case was a single connector at the PDC w That's the No 1 complaint with 99s - 2001s. I know this is a 98 in discussion but, the same mode may be present here.

This is why I had asked him to do a voltage drop down test. On Dodge trucks, there's a few failure modes that will produce another set of codes that aren't even related so, in my experience one must start with the basics first such as verifying the voltage to the PCM.

The two things that he has had going on is an ABS and rough running issue BUT, he stated that he's been driving it around like that for a while and, it wasn't an issue before.

Now, on some models, there's also another issue that can run those same exact codes as listed above and, again, IT's not related to any of those. It occurs when the parking brake remains <ON> (stuck on) thus NOT allowing the vehicle to start and, tripping those same codes and, no gauges as well.

There's also one more condition that I am aware of that will induce those same codes and that is, some of the Dodge PCMs were programmed to shut down in attempt to have the vehicle serviced at the dealer at which point, they would go in a clear out the NON- PCM codes such as the ABS codes and 3-digit codes. It is on a timer and, after x- amount of miles, it trips thus, the next time one goes to start the vehicle, it won't start. And, unless you've got a DART or OBDIII tool, it can't be cleared from memory.

CM

Old 07-27-2010, 07:58 AM
stands2p
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

again those are not P POWERTRAIN CODES.do we even have a Auto Shift Manual Control or the like?no i dont think rams do.heres the correct def of those CCD codes.

900 CCD DATA BUS NOT OPERATIONAL(theres your no data bus code)
920 cluster not recieving a vehicle message from pcm
921 cluster not recieving distance pulse message from pcm
940 cluster not recieving airbag message from ACM
950 cluster not recieving ABS lamp message from CAB

the truck is talking to ya.follow what its talking about and the problem will be fixed.id like the op to do the actuator test again and log the codes.

Old 07-27-2010, 01:07 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Sure, but, you do realize that <IF> there's a low voltage condition it will TRIP all those? This is my point, it also may be something else.

Now, the usual for a NO BUS FAULT is that it flashes NO BUS as was the case with my friends truck back east. He also had all those same codes and, it wasn't anything to do with those but rather ONE connector - simple fix - required no money.*

We have a case of rough running before it died so, there's a clue somewhere in the rough running condition.

Those codes that you listed can be INDUCED by a simply failure such as a LOOSE or dirty connector / power source. That's all I am saying. It COULD be something else. Even a stuck on brake will induce the same exact failure modes and the same exact codes.

But, I know what you mean. Follow the codes get your answer. All I'm saying is that it may something simple as what happened with my friends truck. The codes lead him to believe that his PCM was toast and he replaced it only to find that it had nothing to do with the PCM or ANY of those codes at all. All it was: a corroded / faulty connector at the PDC which, required simple cleaning and re-connect and he was good to go.

CM

Old 07-27-2010, 07:29 PM
CBR900RR19
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

your running around like a chicken with its head cut off with all that testing.which has nothing to do with your issue.the codes you got out the odo are not P(POWERTRAIN)codes.there CCD(CHRYSLER COLLISION DETECTION)data bus codes.this is the communication betwen all onboard systems i.e abs,airbag,pcm,cluster.holding the trip meter why turn key on will start the actuator cluster test.if any gauge fails to sweep the cluster is bad.no dvom is going to test for this only a drb3.code 950 is your abs you unplugged.plug it back in and remove the relay code may go away.other codes have to do with cluster not recieving from the pcm. pull the cluster for any bad connections.cluster fuses. do you have a FSM?if you do its all under cluster.cluster is vehicle specific.

First off is all the acronyms as I do not do this for a living and only deal with them when things are broke I don't recognize all of them LOL. For example dvom, drb3 and FSM??? I believe I have checked all fuses only two locations under hood and drivers side? Or are there more or inlines for the cluster?? I agree and have since the beginning that it is a communcation fault but not being entirely familiar with the system I am relying on the forums experience and greater knowledge... Thanks for you help

Old 07-27-2010, 07:33 PM
CBR900RR19
Professional

VOLTAGE DROP DOWN TEST

-meter across BAT

----turn lights <ON>

------place meter in the window facing the driver seat or, have the GF hit it while you read it.

---------HIT THE STARTER (turn it over)

------------NOTE VOLTAGE DROP (it will NOT be 12.5 nominal- it will drop and, I need the voltage readout e.g. 9.5 V)

Did the test multiple times all the same dropped to approximately 10.9 and jumped back to 12.5 in a fraction of a second...

Old 07-27-2010, 07:51 PM
CBR900RR19
Professional

again those are not P POWERTRAIN CODES.do we even have a Auto Shift Manual Control or the like?no i dont think rams do.heres the correct def of those CCD codes.

900 CCD DATA BUS NOT OPERATIONAL(theres your no data bus code)
920 cluster not recieving a vehicle message from pcm
921 cluster not recieving distance pulse message from pcm
940 cluster not recieving airbag message from ACM
950 cluster not recieving ABS lamp message from CAB

the
truck is talking to ya.follow what its talking about and the problem will be fixed.id like the op to do the actuator test again and log the codes

Hell all I want is my truck running again without spending an arm and a leg on the wrong parts!! So what test would you like to see again?? I am going to try plugging the ABS back in and pulling the relay like you said and seeing whaty I get... Just want to thank everyone again that has offered help!!!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:54 PM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CBR900RR19
VOLTAGE DROP DOWN TEST

-meter across BAT

----turn lights <ON>

------place meter in the window facing the driver seat or, have the GF hit it while you read it.

---------HIT THE STARTER (turn it over)

------------NOTE VOLTAGE DROP (it will NOT be 12.5 nominal- it will drop and, I need the voltage readout e.g. 9.5 V)

Did the test multiple times all the same dropped to approximately 10.9 and jumped back to 12.5 in a fraction of a second...

That rules out a low power source. What about the connector at the PDC- did you remove it and clean and re-connect then TEST to see if it fixes the issue?

I hate to condemn the PCM if it's something simple. I do recall other posts where, in the end, it was the PCM that was at fault. Dropped a new one in and it fired right up.*

But, you do have an outstanding issue with the ABS module and, the only way I recall clearing that was with the OBDIII or DART tool that the dealer has. These are upwards in excess of 7500.00 depending on the configuration so, it's not something that is easily obtainable unless, you do this for a living and the tool is really needed.

I'd bring it into the dealer if after all this you can't find the root problem- they'll connect it and extract all the codes including hidden ones and be able to pinpoint what is wrong in less than ten minutes.

CM

Old 07-27-2010, 10:45 PM
CBR900RR19
Professional

That rules out a low power source. What about the connector at the PDC- did you remove it and clean and re-connect then TEST to see if it fixes the issue?

Cleaned and reinstalled didn't help...

But, you do have an outstanding issue with the ABS module and, the only way I recall clearing that was with the OBDIII or DART tool that the dealer has. These are upwards in excess of 7500.00 depending on the configuration so, it's not something that is easily obtainable unless, you do this for a living and the tool is really needed.

My ABS module is bad I knew that from the start thought I had that in the start of my thread. I'm shipping mine off to Master Module they are going to rebuild it. Hmmm so its looking more and more like the PCM is off to ACE. I still have a couple of sensors to check but we'll see... Thanks

Old 07-28-2010, 01:18 AM
cmckenna
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CBR900RR19

Cleaned and reinstalled didn't help...

My ABS module is bad I knew that from the start thought I had that in the start of my thread. I'm shipping mine off to Master Module they are going to rebuild it. Hmmm so its looking more and more like the PCM is off to ACE. I still have a couple of sensors to check but we'll see... Thanks

You sure did have it listed (ABS) right from the start and, I noted that. I just hate condemning the PCM without tracing it all out system by system as I've seen this same s-h-i-t before- same exact codes, same problem- NO START condition and NO BUS even and, in both cases, it wasn't relating to ANY of those damn codes but was a result of another system failure.

In some cases, it comes out in the wash where, someone remembers "The Arc". Not Noah's Arc LOL but, rather, the arc that occurred during re-connecting the negative battery terminal. That's the "ah-ha" moment where, ok, it's possible that the PCM fried due to inrush current.

That's why I had asked if you'd noted / recalled something similar before. I've had it happen once when rushing around and lost control over the process. Dead PCM as a result. In your case, we just don't know what the root cause for the rough running condition to dying overnight. I still think it went into limp-home-mode from the "sounds" of things in this case. It ran one day- rough, then, you get home, go to sleep, wake up to a dead truck that won't start.

Sounds to much like auto shutdown mode, to which, the ABS / braking system may have something to do with that. I'm not positive though. I am not familiar with the ABS system functionality and how it ties into the failsafe mechanisms and cluster. Like I said earlier, another thing is a stuck parking brake= NO START and no gauges.

Glad to be of some help,

CM

Quick Reply: Will not start, Gauges do not read, Airbag Light