2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Really annoying squeal!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 11:11 PM
ramtrucksrule
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really annoying squeal!!

Ok so i am having this annoying squeal coming from under the hood. I have had no luck figuring out what it could be.
On start-up it will chirp a little bit, but once i am driving down the road it get louder with RPMs, but when the truck shifts into overdrive it either goes away or is almost non-existant. I have replaced the belt, idler pulley and the tensioner.
From what I can see there is not any leaks coming from underneath or anything like that. The sounds does seem to come from either the power steering pulley, or the water pump. Not sure which one to try next,
I have also tried to put a steel tool to everything to see if i could hear anything, and still couldnt figure anything. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I am lost. Thanks.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:00 AM
kazslo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do any of the pulleys wiggle with the belt off? Thats how I diagnosed my water pump. It also was making a slight squeaking sound when I'd spin it by hand.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:13 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: Really annoying squeal!!