2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Just fixed Idle/stalling prob, now plenum question

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 12:02 AM
CapHillHandyman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just fixed Idle/stalling prob, now plenum question

I have been lurking for a while, since I bought my Dodge in 2008, learning as much as I can from you guys, and I want to say THANKS!!! to everyone who contributes and keeps this board running, Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

I'm one who never even attempted to change my own oil before starting to read this board. Last month, after reading as much as I could here, I installed a new radiator and bypassed my leaky heater core.

This week, after needing a jump start, my truck wouldn't idle. it would start up fine, but die as soon as you took your foot off the gas. Came here, read some posts and took my battery and alternator to be tested. Results = Alt fine, Battery weak. I put a new battery in it and it ran fine for a few days and then started stalling out again. Checked battery, Battery fully charged, me scratching my head.

So I came back here, poked around some more, and decided to check the throttle body and IAC motor. Again, the info here was amazing! I found a link to step by step instructions, with photos, and this complete novice removed and cleaned the throttle body and replaced the IAC. I also replaced the Throttle Position Sensor (it was plastic and came apart when I tried to disconect the wires)

Put it all back together and Viola! The truck purrrrs at idle like it has never purred before. I can't believe how smoothly she idles now! What a difference!

So, while I had the throttle body off, I looked in the holes at the plenum, but didn't really know what I was looking for. It didn't seem really wet, like no puddles of oil, but again, I really don't know. I took these pics with my cellphone. Had to hold a flashlight in one side while taking pic of the other, so it looks a lot darker than it is.

Whaddaya think?

uh... anyone wanna tell a newbie how to post pics?

Attached Thumbnails Just fixed Idle/stalling prob, now plenum question-0404111849a.jpg   Just fixed Idle/stalling prob, now plenum question-0404111850.jpg   Just fixed Idle/stalling prob, now plenum question-0404111849.jpg   Just fixed Idle/stalling prob, now plenum question-0404111850c.jpg  
Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 AM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

I would go ahead and pull it and put a hughes plenum plate on it, it looks cleaner than mine did. But you can see there is build up in there

Old 04-05-2011, 12:25 AM
mike.97.2500
Rookie
Old 04-05-2011, 01:00 AM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems the plenum is an inescapable repair for any owner of a 2nd gen ram (except me... been lucky so far). That being said, my $.02:

What you're really looking for is oil pooling in there. What you have looks to be carbon build up more than anything else. Try this: seafoam the intake, drive for a while (bout 100mi should do it) and check it again.

Seafoam instructions: Buy a 10oz can of seafoam (available at walmart... at least around here) should be about $10.

With the truck at operating temp and running, pull the hose to the brake booster (Big black circle mounted on the firewall, drivers side) leave it connected to the intake. Poke two holes at the edges of the top of the cap to the seafoam can. These holes shold dissect the circle (go across the diameter) and be fairly small in size. have a buddy hold the truck at a steady 13-1500rpms while you DRIP the seafoam into the hose. If you pour too fast, the truck will die.

You can safely empty the can entirely into this hose if desired, though the can says 1/3 of it is sufficient. Do either (I'd empty most of the can if this is the first time you've done it)

Kill the truck. Reconnect the hose. Drink a Beer. Drink another beer. Wait 15- 20 mins (preferably while drinking).

Start it back up and rev it a bit (don't get cocky). White smoke will pour out of the exhaust. This is carbon being burned off, and is normal. Your truck should run better now. Isnt seafoam great ?

Disclaimer: FYI, there will be an inordinate amount of smoke created by doing this. It may be wise to alert the neighbors of your intention prior to carrying out this procedure. I am not responsible if someone gets their feelings hurt, calls you nasty names, yells at you for destroying the environment, gets their panties in a wad, insults your mother with implied promiscuity, fears that the smoke is the beginning of the end of the world, cries hysterically, or calls the fire department.

After driving a while, check your intake again. If there is oil present, it's plenum time.

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 04-05-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 04-05-2011, 08:27 AM
CapHillHandyman

Thanks for the replies. I bought the truck Sept '08 with 110K, and have 145K on it now. The guy I bought it from (original owner) was a mechanic and took good care of it, but I don't know if he fixed the plenum issue or not. I will definetly try the Seafoam first and keep an eye on it. Thanks Mad Scientist for the Seafoam tutorial.

Also, I'm thinking about selling this one. Mechanically it has always run great. But it has a long list of things that need money and attention (needs a new dashboard, stereo, heater core, a/c system has a leak, doors are rusting, there are a few dents, one of the back doors won't open, needs new wheels and tires, new ball joints, etc) I'm not sure if I want to put that much into this one. I love this truck, but I would really like to have a 4x4 2nd gen with an 8' bed. I've just started looking for one.

Quick Reply: Just fixed Idle/stalling prob, now plenum question