2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

my transmission

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 AM
thompson1986
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my transmission

i was debating taking it somewhere to have it rebuilt and toughened up, however i have no clue what to do tomake a transmission any better than it would be from the factory, im also throwing 5.13 Gears in the thing dont know if it will put more wear on the trans or less wear than the stock 3.55

Old 10-04-2011, 07:27 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Look in the FAQ/DIY section. There are three tranny threads(on the first page) that have info. MonteC's has parts listed on page 5,6, or 7. I forget which. And the gears you are installing will create less stress on the tranny.

Last edited by zman17; 10-04-2011 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 07:56 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

forum member and transmission tech MonteC (Robert Griffin) recommended this list.

i'd print it out and take it to a local transmission shop that has positive customer recommendations or reviews. its probably impossible for every shop to make every customer happy, but i'd try to avoid shops with negative reviews, especially any that don't stand behind their work or honor warranties. discuss the list with the shop - if they say: oh yeah i know all about that, or that's a good idea or here's another way... - then that's a good sign. if they shake their head and say - we don't use sonnax parts, or we only use standard rebuild kits... then i'd go somewhere else.

prices can vary, but in general - the labor is about the same no matter what. the parts can add up pretty quick, especially if there's a lot of markup added in. DO - GET a written build sheet/parts list of what's in the trans. its the parts that are the difference in a $1000 trans and a $2000+ trans.

another list you can compare is from patc. they build some very very expensive trans, and you still have to install it...
http://www.transmissioncenter.net/dodge.htm (expensive)

on this list, the GM govenor pressure sensor is optional and adds another $200 or so to the job. the borg warner replacement is a less expensive option. i'm loving the lower stall RV torque converter.

Overhaul kit
Friction kit (green high energy clutches)
Bushing kit Steel kit
Front band Rear band
Aluminum accumulator piston (plastic from factory)
Sonnax Sure Cure
O/D bearing/race (sonnax update)
Low roller clutch O/D roller clutch
DNJ GM governor pressure sensor/solenoid kit
Sonnax reverse servo
Upgrade the rear planet to a four pinion
Upgrade the o/d clutches to 47RE specs
RV/low stall torque converter, Precision of New Hampton
trans cooler. Fluid atf+4
Filter
R&R transmission

Last edited by dhvaughan; 10-04-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:45 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also made two additional upgrades. I changed the four planet sets to 6 planet sets, and front drum from 3 to 5 frictions (as a unit from WITTRANS). Also added deep pan with filter extension, and the recommended cooler.

Quick Reply: my transmission