2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

powertrax noslip for rear - yes or no ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 02:21 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default powertrax noslip for rear - yes or no ?

ok, so i have an open differential and my tires are just all-terrain which is not so good, and my truck is 4wd so i can usually get out of what i get into, but i'm sick on getting stuck in 2wd in not so bad places just because one wheel starts spinning.

i've read all about LSD, Lockers, Selectable Lockers, Front vs Rear vs Both, cost, installation ease or not, availability for dodge ram, etc.

What i want to be able to do is cut/haul wood, go fishing/hunting, drive out across the field or pasture, wheel for fun in mud. no rock climbing. It also a daily driver for going to work every day.

So i'm thinking i will put one of these in the rear end. This seems like the best compromise. It installs into an open differential. its a diy. it works with one wheel in the air. and doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Its supposedly quieter with better road manners than a full locker.
What do you think ? (especially ya'll with full lockers that drive them every day)

http://www.rocky-road.com/noslip.html $405.00
http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/no-slip/review/?
http://www.rocky-road.com/noslip.html
http://www.powertrax.com/noslip.html

Old 02-07-2007, 04:00 AM
motorider228
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: powertrax noslip for rear - yes or no ?

Get an Auburn LSD or posi or whatever you want to call it. They seem to be the favorite among the chrysler 9.25 guys and I have one and love it.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:35 AM
Dodge4x4810
Veteran

I have been looking at the same product. The reason why i was looking at this one in particular is because it is diy, like you said, requiring no special tools and setting of backlash or anything like that. I think that i am going to purchase it in the near future. I have only read good things about it.

Old 02-07-2007, 04:42 AM
motorider228
Champion

I personally would never do any work to my differentials except change the fluid. You move one thing incorrectly and your entire rear end is grenaded and that can ruin the tranny too if it locks up at high speeds. I say get something that is tried and true and have a reputable shop install it.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Bajajeep4x4

For what its worth, I too have heard good things about the auburn LSD, but have had no personal experience. I put a powertrax noslip in my 93 Jeep yj that at the time was a daily driver, and have been impressed. One thing to keep in mind, eventhough it is better andmore civilized on the road than astandard lock right, you will still know its in there.I am sure in a longer wheelbase rig it will be better, buttheJeepbecame more squirrelly andgives a side to side rock when on and off the gas and of couse it chirps the tires in slowtuns. So if youcan deal with it, go for it. If not gowith a LSD andkeep the road maners. I have learned to live with it and it has broken in nicely and handles well now. I would put itin my ram but this way it keeps me wheeling theJeep and not thetruck, plus itsmore fun to
bitch aboutthe truckwith its p.o.s. open diffs.

Old 02-07-2007, 02:52 PM
zique
Captain

I have also been considering the Powertrax no-slip, but I just called a distributer here and he says that the lock-right is the only one that you don't have to replace the entire carrier. Their site and no one else I've ever talked to has suggested this, so I'm not sure if he was just mistaken or if he was trying to get me to spend the $30 extra on an Auburn (which actually wasn't a bad price for the Auburn either). The only problem is that an Auburn would cost even more than that because I couldn't install it myself.

Old 02-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Sirhilton17
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im interested in the Auburn LSD, where can I get more info about them?
I googled it and can only find reviews about them.

How much are they?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:35 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: zique
I have also been considering the Powertrax no-slip, but I just called a distributer here and he says that the lock-right is the only one that you don't have to replace the entire carrier. Their site and no one else I've ever talked to has suggested this, so I'm not sure if he was just mistaken or if he was trying to get me to spend the $30 extra on an Auburn (which actually wasn't a bad price for the Auburn either). The only problem is that an Auburn would cost even more than that because I couldn't install it myself.
straight off powertrax website....
Installation is simple because no ring and pinion set-up is required. In addition, no special tools or oils are needed. Step by step model specific instructions are provided with every kit.

Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
shott8283
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

im i reading this right?

powertrax has a no-slip for the dana44?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
motorider228
Champion

ORIGINAL: Sirhilton17

Im interested in the Auburn LSD, where can I get more info about them?
I googled it and can only find reviews about them.

How much are they?
I got my auburn for $380 from www.3rdstrike.biz

Quick Reply: powertrax noslip for rear - yes or no ?