Tips for 2008+ 4.7L Tune up

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2014, 12:47 PM
Xxaler
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips for 2008+ 4.7L Tune up

If you've got a second gen 4.7 with 16 plugs, I've got a few tips for doing the tune up/spark plug change.

1. Get a set of wires/boots just in case, use them if yours are cracked, if not you can return them to the dealer without a hassle. Better safe than sorry (and having to waste another hour taking everything apart again).

2. Proper tools. Upper plugs on 08+ manifolds use a thin wall 5/8 socket, I used a Mastercraft socket put it on the lathe and shaved it down to .830 outside diameter and it slipped in perfectly. Snap-on sockets are a perfect fit just the way they are. For the lower bank to make life easy, you're best with a swivel head spark plug socket and a 3" standard extension. It makes getting to the back plugs easy as hell. If you use a swivel spark plug socket you can even do the back 3 passenger side plugs without having to remove the fender liner. It looks like it's a rough job, but with that socket your life will be a lot better.

3. Use the proper plugs!
Upper bank calls for Bosch FR8TE2 (Nickel Yttrium) Gap .040
Lower bank calls for Bosch FR8T1332 (Iridium) Gap .050

4. Anti seize on plug threads, anti-seize on the top of the coil boots, and dielectric grease inside both ends of the wires and inside of the boots.

Tools you will need in total for doing the job:
10mm socket, 11mm socket, 5/16 shallow socket, 6" extension, 3" extension, 5/8 thin wall spark plug socket, 5/8 swivel head spark plug socket, plug wire pullers, anti-seize, dielectric grease.

Old 01-12-2014, 03:59 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I used Champion Iridium spark plugs for all sixteen, part # 9055, and so far no issues. Will see how they perform gas mileage wise once summer hits. No difference in drive-ability.

A standard Craftsman "spark plug socket" fits fine on the upper plugs without modification.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:24 PM
keithhud
Professional

Thanks for the great write up. I was on the fence as to weather I wanted to do the plugs myself or not.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:09 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Thinking this should be a sticky in the DIY section?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:31 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jkeaton
Thinking this should be a sticky in the DIY section?
Sure and dont be affraid to clean house up/organize there too if you feel the need. Ive been meanign to do it, but havent had the chance

Old 01-20-2019, 08:56 PM
bperkins

THREAD HI JACK,The inner fender liner is pretty easy to remove. I removed it to get to upper O2 sensor and the plugs were literally right there easy peasy

Old 01-21-2019, 06:40 PM
philipat
Veteran
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

One more note:
I did upper spark plugs about a month or two ago and to prepare for it, I bought a new Craftsman swivel (i.e., u-joint) spark plug socket. It did NOT fit into the upper cylinders. I ended up using a Duralast swivel head with 6" extension that fit perfectly.

Did everything else exactly as the OP described and it worked great. Just be careful not to over tighten the bolts on the coil packs.

Quick Reply: Tips for 2008+ 4.7L Tune up