3rd Gen Dakota general discussion This section is for general discussions about your 3rd gen Dakota. Non tech related Dakota threads belong here.

Flooding and dying

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2018, 06:57 PM
Rodbender
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flooding and dying

This is for a '06 Dakota 3.7L, 104500 miles. Truck has been running like a champ until this past 'Black Friday'. While cruising on the hwy at 55 mph the engine started shaking and the check engine light came on. The engine died and I coasted into a parking lot. Got a tow home. Would crank over but not start. Code P138 (rear O2 sensor) and P305 (cyl 5 misfire). Started diagnostics found that ignition coil cyl. 5 bad, replaced. Plugs were close to time for replacing so I did. Voltage to all injectors and resistance good. All emission tubes/hoses intact/connected. Has new air filter. Battery voltage good, dis and reconnected. Was able to get engine to run still has miss and is now flooding. Checked injectors for audible while running with stethoscope-all functioning. If I depress accelerator or remove one of the emissions tubes at intake to allow more air in engine will continue to run. As soon as I decrease air into the engine it dies giving more validity to a flooding condition. At a loss as to why and how I went from one issue with the coil and a miss to a flooding condition and no codes showing if there is a sensor or mechanical part causing issue. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Old 11-30-2018, 01:50 PM
Seventime
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad 02 sensor commanding the fuel trim rich or lean?
you mentioned it through a 02 code. Did you go after it?

Quick Reply: Flooding and dying