DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Dakota (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota-68/)
-   -   Electric Fan (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota/102921-electric-fan.html)

pro4x4 04-19-2007 09:31 PM

Electric Fan

I'm looking for some info/advice on installing an electric fan on my 05 4.7L V8. I am looking into buying the Flex-a-lite Black Magic extreme #180 fan. Those of you who have electric fans, What one did you get? How did you wire it up?
Thanks

Frenchy 04-19-2007 10:05 PM

RE: Electric Fan

I've been wondering the exact same thing.

I know there's a guy in here who haas it done, maybe he can chime in.

superdak05 04-20-2007 03:22 AM

it all depends on if you want the thermostat to control the on and off of the fan or are you going to do it manual. flex lite gives pretty good directions on the wiring harness.

momopar 04-20-2007 11:41 AM

I installed a Flex-a-lite on a S-10 I had prior to my dodge. Not to bad of an installation. The fan was controled by a probe that slid between the radiator fins and had a temp knob you could adjust. Used it for about 4 years with no trouble before I traded it in.

ericemery 04-20-2007 12:52 PM

I believe dusty has/had one installed... maybe he can give some insight.

trucky 04-21-2007 07:14 AM

from what i've heard you want to get the biggest one you can fit...and it usually is a good idea to get a battery and or alternator upgrade so that power stops taking away from your HP (because stock fan is mounted to engine pulley) and also not drain battery if you have anything like sound system or w/e. i took my fan off and left it like that for the winter...only had problems when i got stuck in downtown traffic and i overheated, funny story. dont do that.

pro4x4 04-21-2007 09:42 PM

The truck comes with a 136 amp alternator. Do you really think a new alternator or battery is necessary? I don't plan on getting a 1000 watt stereo or anything like that maybe 2 offroad lights down the road.

trucky 04-21-2007 09:50 PM

i didn't say you had to get it JUST for the fan

Dusty 04-23-2007 11:58 AM

I got the most quiet one I could find. The first one was too loud. I have it wired to a relay via temp sensor in the thermostat housing, works perfect. That threaded hole happens to be the same threads as a typical universal temp sensor. :D

Truck runs cooler @ idle with the a/c on or off. Temperature is MUCH more consistant. The a/c is much colder @ idle also.Dodge should have gave these trucks electric fans from the get go.

I fabricated my own aluminum brackets to the fan shroud to bolt it in place. Easy .2 off your 1/4 mile time. :)

ericemery 04-23-2007 02:05 PM

dusty, which fan did you go with? I am not really looking to do it right now, but I would like to have a project for the winter... lol