3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Crushed my tailgate!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 01:11 PM
skikir
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crushed my tailgate!

I had my camper on and it sticks out about 6 inches past the end of the bed so I had the tailgate down and it acts like a little porch on the camper. Anyway we were pullling into a camp ground and there was a sign. I saw it and read it but "she who must be obeyed" didn't see it and didn't believe me wanted me to back up so she could read it her self. She always does this to me! Being exasperated (sp) I put it in reverse and backed up when HONK! HONK! Crunch!.... A little cheap a$$Extera had pulled up behind me in my blind spot. My tail gate hit the Extera's bumper and folded like cardboard. I looked at the Extera and the license plate was bent but that was all. Not even a scratch! I was so ammazed. It looks like I hit the Extera's license plate frame and it took all the hit and did not even mark it. It was a rental car and they did not want to even exchange info so I guess I hit a post. I knew the tailgate was flimsy because I've dinged it with branches and fire wood pieces that would have bounced off my old 87Jeep Comanche pickup.When you see how this thing is put together you really have to shake your head. I think the seams are actually glued. Actually, I'm glad it was so flimsy because it didn't do any dammage to the other car. As it was it did $750 dammage and need to replace the tailgate. BTW I found a place on the web that sells new unpainted gates for $198. That's probably striped without fittings.

Old 07-19-2007, 04:32 PM
DakotaStone
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Crushed my tailgate!

OUCH DUDE. I hope it doesn't cost a whole of money to replace or repair it.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:18 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

The tailgate on the Gen IIIs as well as other body panels etc. are far less in weight and rigger than my old95 Dak. The 95 you almost had to lift the gate with two hands, not so with the Gen IIIs. Face it they just look nice but very fragile very easy to damage without even trying.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:51 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

they had to compensate for the weight because of the new boxed frame. the tailgates are hollow and weigh about 25 lbs. time to get a new one. i was backing yo an hit a place werethey store grocery carts and bent my bumper. 400.00 for a new one and thats not including the brackets.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:45 PM
graythang
Record Breaker

Four bills for a Dakrear bumper? That's crazy. I'm-a-scared to drive it in fear that the parts I might damage will cost me more then the pool I want to put in.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:21 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

damn that is crazy but for some reason does not shock me...everything else is so expensive now a days anyway.

Old 07-20-2007, 05:54 PM
skikir

The whole body is that way.Go up to any body pannel and you can push it in like it was plastic. The metal on my old 72 British TR6 is beefyer than this pick up. I wouldn't mind it if it gave me some more gas milage but it's stuck at 18 mpg. I heard on the radio the other day the Hummers get over 20!

Old 07-21-2007, 12:37 AM
mb18
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: skikir

The whole body is that way.Go up to any body pannel and you can push it in like it was plastic. The metal on my old 72 British TR6 is beefyer than this pick up. I wouldn't mind it if it gave me some more gas milage but it's stuck at 18 mpg. I heard on the radio the other day the Hummers get over 20!
Yeah but they have a powerless I-5 trying to push a lot of SUV around. We really make out better.

Old 07-21-2007, 06:14 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

The H-3 is an Isuzu I-5 as in GM Colorado. It’s got some ***** but not for an H-3. You are 150% right on the tin panel tuna can they are. I have seen Daks used by some utilities like companies and they look like thy have gone through a demolition derby even thought there relatively new. It is a very week panel system and all the weight is in the frame and vertical body structure frame of the green house box. The V8 is also heaver with the cast iron block compared to other mid-size trucks with all an alum.V6. Like I said you may want to learn the art of paintless body repair.

Old 07-23-2007, 01:46 AM
graythang
Record Breaker

Quick Reply: Crushed my tailgate!