DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Dakota (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota-68/)
-   -   how does borla sound? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota/119103-how-does-borla-sound.html)

kingsaffey 08-08-2007 08:43 PM

how does borla sound?

I never heard borla exhaust on our truck, i know it sounds like a boat on a vettes and srt4s.. but the sound that my trucks produces from the jba headers and true dual flowmaster is redonkulous, its the loudest exhaust around here, i set off all car alarms off on the side of the road and from just idling. i got pulled over basically every night for noice pollution. i love pulling next to ricers haha

Altair 08-08-2007 09:39 PM

RE: how does borla sound?

Night_Runner has a borla muffler, he even posted a video clip of him doing a drive-by but I can't find it for the life of me. It's not in his Fquick either (someone's been a little lazy updating that it seems;))

Frenchy 08-08-2007 11:14 PM

Sounds like vroom vroom...

Hehehe....

Ask NightRunner....

Night_Runner 08-09-2007 01:59 AM

alrighty guys, the borla god is here. lol anyway, i decided not to purchase the full exhaust kit, and only the muffler, when i was lookin for it, i knew it was either Borla or Corsa for me and i would settle for nothing less. reason being, the distinct sound both produce. it is not heard everyday. i could not have both Borla and Corsa on my truck so i broke things down. hands down, corsa has the sickest tip on the market IMO...although, it is a few hundred for the tip only, there are many quality "corsa clone" tips out on the market....honestly, IMO the nicest corsa clone tip on the market is the stock tips off the new corvette...now for sound, its my truck and i drive a lot, some city, but mostly at hwy speeds and i also tow a lot, so i didnt want to always hear my exhaust. for that reason, i chose borla over corsa. borla at idle is not much louder than stock (i took off 1 reso and left 1 on) and driving around town is quite quiet, but it does give a nice low distinct sound....when you step on it, it sounds mean, what i mean is terrifying....i love when i step on it and its above 5k rpm and changes gears, in the second it shifts, i makes this undescribable wicked sound. honestly, i would rather take off my 2nd reso, so i can hear it a tad more when driving around town, but i leave my gf's a lot very late and i like to be respectful to the rest of her family, maybe im weird, but that is honestly my reasoning for leaving the 2nd reso on....

in short, yes, borla is a performance muffler, it is a muffler made to produce a distinct sound, quiet at idle and low rpm's, and screamin at high rpm's

if you want something loud, you can be like everyone else and get flows, or gibson, or magnaflow yada yada yada....there is absolutely nothing wrong with them...but i dont want to sounds like everyone else....if i was modding my hawk, hands down i would get corsa, i would bite the big $ bullet and buy the kit over any other, no questions asked....if i wanted my truck to be louder, i would again bite the bullet and get corsa...

main reasons people dont like corsa and borla is the cost and the availability of them. you cant just get them anywhere, but if you want them, its not that hard. and another main reason people dont like borla is not because of the sound, but bc its not screamin loud all the time...i love my borla purchase and am very pleased with it...and an fyi, for our trucks, when it comes to borla, you should be looking at the proxs or turbo mufflers, which i talked to a borla rep, and they will both produce the same sound...they are really for dif sized applications/types of engines, but both will perform the same on our trucks and produce the same sound (from what i gathered from the rep)

oh and also, there is no drone in the cab from the borla, and believe it or not, corsa drone is very minimal while is is very loud behind the vehicle

also, you will get more performance out of a single exhaust set up than duels...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...o/DSC01595.jpg

and yes the tips are staggered, special for side exit on pass side

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...0071303-01.jpg

sure the muffler has a few little scratches, but it was new in the box and i got it for a great deal from a wholesale shop...no dents, never been used dont really know how it got a few little marks on it, dont really care...i cant complain at all..very happy
http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...o/DSC01586.jpg

this vid gives a good idea of the sound, revs are only to about 4k, which is the rev limiter...its multiplies so much meaner as the revs go past 4k....and you have to remember, the phone is pretty much right at the tip, so of course it is louder than if you stand back...but id does get real loud at higher rpm's
http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g2...4071623-00.flv

you can go to www.borla.com and on the home page under the pic in the middle of some tubing and a muffler and tips there is "hear it now"...then click "truck and suv" and you will hear a good sound clip....listen all the way through, sounds very accurate imo

Night_Runner 08-09-2007 02:09 AM

hope that helps, and like i said in my post, i was not at all trying to bash any other brands or say one is better than the other, its just personal peferance. if you decide on borla, pm me, ill tell you a wholesale shop that i got mine from....also, comes with a million mile warranty, and is made of t-304 stainless steel, while most other compainies use a grade in the 400 and up range...when it comes to steel, the lower the number, the higher the quality...

curtiplas 08-09-2007 06:38 AM

Okay just FYI I didn't read like anything on this post... just saw the 4k rev limiter comment and listened to the exhaust... so... how much did that borla muffler and corsa tips cost??...

oh also I didn't realize that auto's RPMS where so limited... I figured that my manny was limited too but I can go past 6k... and there is no Redline on my Tac... LOL..

rick4dak 08-09-2007 08:35 AM

So, Night-Runner, are your tips Borla or are they Corvette? My flowmaster dual-out is already too loud and drones. When I put my JBA headers on, I expect the exhaust to be way too loud so I'm switching to a Borla single-out and really like how your tips look.

curtiplas 08-09-2007 09:33 AM

I believe they are Corsa... Corvette... not Borla

Night_Runner 08-09-2007 10:20 AM

ORIGINAL: rick4dak

So, Night-Runner, are your tips Borla or are they Corvette? My flowmaster dual-out is already too loud and drones. When I put my JBA headers on, I expect the exhaust to be way too loud so I'm switching to a Borla single-out and really like how your tips look.
mine are corsa (clones, cough), (if you want real corsa tips, be willing to pay 200+ per tip) i know some people that could hook you up with the new vett tips, which are pretty much very high quality corsa clones....pm me about price...but dont go with borla if you want it to be loud, borla is quiet at slow speeds and idle...but when you driving and that needle goes higher and higher, its awesome...i love when i shift it past 5k

rick4dak 08-09-2007 10:26 AM

I guess I was not clear. My exhaust is already loud and drones. When I put the headers on it will get louder. I want the Borla muffler to quiet it down some except whe I put my foot into it.