3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

tonneau covers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 04:12 PM
biker_ahoy
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tonneau covers?

Anyone have a hard top tonneau cover from dodge? one piece unit.
Was wondering how they stand up to abuse from being used a lot.
scratch or chip easy?

Old 01-09-2009, 05:30 PM
DodgesForLife24
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know someone with an A.R.E. hard tonneau cover. (Mine folds in 3 places and has 4 bending pieces, the Bakflip Tonneau) the only problem with the A.R.E. though was they have a brand new 08 truck and it wasn't adjusted properly or something so it scratched the truck up where it laid, it's not really noticeable but it is a disappointment. Also they give them extra paint in case something scratches off and I'm pretty sure they cover anything like that under the warranty.

Old 01-09-2009, 11:50 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i have the a.r.e. lo pro fiberglass tonneau on my 05 dak. really nice and durable, plus it was less than the dodge one. if you get the dodge one. you will pay for the tonneau, than they will tack on a installation charge. my a.r.e. has weather stripping all along the inside of the cover so no paint scratch or chipping. i have pics in my gallery

Old 01-10-2009, 07:55 PM
DodgesForLife24
Banned

Originally Posted by superdak05
i have the a.r.e. lo pro fiberglass tonneau on my 05 dak. really nice and durable, plus it was less than the dodge one. if you get the dodge one. you will pay for the tonneau, than they will tack on a installation charge. my a.r.e. has weather stripping all along the inside of the cover so no paint scratch or chipping. i have pics in my gallery

A.R.E.'s are really nice. They're what I would buy too. The adjustment wasn't the tonneau's fault it was the people who set it up. Where can you get weather stripping?

Old 01-10-2009, 10:53 PM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

my a.r.e. came with it already installed on the cover. any small hardware store will sell rolls of it simple to apply.just make sure the mounting surfice is clean before applying it. also the leer 800 is a sweet cover. basically the same as the a.r.e. but was introduced into the market place first. if the leer was first, i would have purchased that one

Old 01-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Mahadigus
Rookie

I had the Mopar cover and if you don't mind removing the entire frame and cover as an assembly to use your box for larger items then its a good cover. I took the cover off the frame and it's not designed to be removed that way, and I destroyed the frame. It does state this in the instructions but who really reads those things lol. Anyways I warrantied the cover at the dealership I work at and then sold the new one to a guy that lives in town here. I now own an undercover and I love it, it weighs next to nothing and removal is a snap. I say no dice to anyone that wants the Mopar especially if they plan on using their box to carry anything larger then the cover can take.

hope this helps

-Mark

Old 01-11-2009, 09:26 PM
BAdassR/T
Record Breaker

i have the mopar cover also love it!

Old 01-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Night_Runner
Champion

idk about the dodge ones, but i have a leer. i have friends with a.r.e. know one person with a *******, i used to have a century on my ram....the person i know with a *******, well it was nice, but falling apart now, quality isnt that great. century is alright, but has nothing on a.r.e. or leer. oh, i know a few people with those undercover ones. they are nice for the price. a.r.e. and leer are by far the best imo. i think my leer is nicer quality than my friends a.r.e.'s and i really like my locking mechanism ect. but of course every brand has their nicer stuff and their cheaper crap. leer has won me over, you wont catch me with anything else, but i will give a.r.e props on a good product.

Quick Reply: tonneau covers?