3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Who has replaced their own struts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:21 AM
Cuban11182
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has replaced their own struts?

I'm asking because I am thinking about doing it myself. I am very mechanically inclined but have never changed struts out before. I have some spring compressors, but I don't remember where I purchased them so I'm afraid they might be chinese (They are black bolts with silver prongs and I don't think they are painted). I have all the necessary tools including sockets, jacks, stands, 2 and 3 jaw pullers for the ball joints, air compressor 55 gal, impact etc. I called around locally and most people will not do it because I purchased my struts from online instead of from them. Pep Boys said $54 per side. I'm waiting for a call from the dealer but don't expect too much from them. If the strut compressors are chinese or they look cheap then I'll go to Autozone and rent some spring compressors and return them when I am done. I have already replaced the sway bar end links so I would hope they wouldn't break after only 2 weeks.

Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:19 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

$54 per wheel or per side?

Old 10-13-2009, 01:04 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

per side

Old 10-13-2009, 02:30 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

I did mine when I put on my over the strut spacer. Not too bad (especially with your tools). If there was not a spacer in there, it would have been a walk in the park. With the spacer....PITA getting it back together!

Old 10-13-2009, 02:33 PM
Cuban11182
All Star

I have the spacers but don't want to attempt it. Pretty much all I do is tighten down the compressors till I can't anymore by hand and then remove the nut off the shock right?

Old 10-13-2009, 11:15 PM
mprohr
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cuban11182
I have the spacers but don't want to attempt it. Pretty much all I do is tighten down the compressors till I can't anymore by hand and then remove the nut off the shock right?
Actually, you just have to compress them enough to make the strut loose within them. Just because spring compressors are Chinese, doesn't mean they don't work perfectly fine....However, if you believe they are not up to the task, don't use them. The job isn't that bad. Read through past threads about it. There is probably one in the FAQ.....and if there isnt there outta.

Old 10-13-2009, 11:22 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

yes there is one on this site somewhere here. lots of good tips when doing it too. Only thing I would advise if you do both the strut and spacer (over the top) is to recognize where the strut hole lines up with the lower control bolt, b/c w/ the top spacer it flips it 180 degrees (about) and once you get that spring compressor off, you can't spin that strut freely inside the spring! (hope that made sense)

Old 10-13-2009, 11:58 PM
wobly
Amateur

I did mine in two phases...first, I replaced the front shocks with Rancho's. Then, a few weeks later, I installed the spacers. Yes, that means I pretty much did the job twice. Pops is right, doing just the shocks isn't bad. Installing the spacers SUCKS...but, it isn't impossible. Hell, I did it in my garage.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:40 AM
Q-TIP
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just installed the Trailmaster Spacers on my Dak which requires strut disassembly. I've done my share of struts in my day but usually on cars. Our Truck's are no harder but they do require a little bit more compression than I was used to. All in all it took me about 30 minutes per side in my Garage with my cat as my shop-hand. One thing I did learn though is that if you installed spacers putting it back together is a PITA, UNLESS you unbolt the frame mounting point for the sway bar on the side you are working. This simple two bolt operation lets you move the bar around and made getting the strut back in a cinch! Plus it only takes 1 minute to unbolt it and bolt it back up again.

You won't need the ball-joint puller by any means, however you will need a rather eclectic mix of sockets and wrenches, some English and some Metric.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:00 AM
Cuban11182
All Star

Originally Posted by Q-TIP
You won't need the ball-joint puller by any means, however you will need a rather eclectic mix of sockets and wrenches, some English and some Metric.
I have more than enough sockets so I am good there. I tried to remove the strut assembly a little while back and could not remove the upper control arm ball joint from the spindle. I hit it with a hammer, but didn't want to go too crazy. I'm hope with the puller I can pop her out.

Quick Reply: Who has replaced their own struts?