3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

sticky shifter

Old 06-29-2010, 12:49 AM
06firedak
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sticky shifter

for some reason latley i cant get my dak to shift out of park. doesnt happen all the time and when it does it seems it is depends on how i step on the brake pedal. some times i have to stomp on it acouple times and some times it seems if i use my left foot to press it instead of my right it works. what the heck is going on?

Old 06-29-2010, 12:52 AM
hendrixx324
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

give it alittle bit a gas it happend to me before im not sure if me giving it gas fixed it or if it was just a coinsidents but its worth a try

Old 06-29-2010, 01:11 PM
keithhud
Professional

I've noticed this as well. I figured it was due to being in a hurry and not pulling the lever back to me when I try to put it in R. I'll pay a little more attention to it. Doesn't happen all the time just every now and then.

Old 06-29-2010, 05:56 PM
bain64
Veteran

Turning the steering wheel to one side or the other may help as well.

Old 06-29-2010, 08:20 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Are you simultaneously hitting the brake and pulling the shifter? Try hitting the brake first and then moving the shifter. You may be binding the little lock out pin and servo. Just a thought...

I havent really experienced what you have described.

Old 06-30-2010, 09:52 AM
Robk1971
Professional

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Are you simultaneously hitting the brake and pulling the shifter? Try hitting the brake first and then moving the shifter. You may be binding the little lock out pin and servo. Just a thought...
I found the same to be true. I have to press the brake before shifting or it stays locked. I was thinking of removing the lock altogether. It's a PITA.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:31 PM
06firedak
Amateur

ok here is what i have found. the switch down by the brake pedal activates another switch\solinoid up under the dash that locks the shift lever. not sure which one is bad or even how to test them but if i disconnect either one, it disables the locking mechanizim on the shifter. so if i cant figure out which one is bad i will just disconnect one.

Old 07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
shrpshtr325
THE ULTI-MOD
Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 06firedak
ok here is what i have found. the switch down by the brake pedal activates another switch\solinoid up under the dash that locks the shift lever. not sure which one is bad or even how to test them but if i disconnect either one, it disables the locking mechanizim on the shifter. so if i cant figure out which one is bad i will just disconnect one.

that will work, but we have found (1st gen durangos) that this tends to happen more in the cold, and that it seems to be from a lack of lubricant in the shift mechanism, if it gets stuck and you cant get it to go into gear, just pop the rubber boot off, and push the lock bar out of the way.

i would suggest getting a can of silicon based lubricant (silicon repels water) to spray the assembly with, i did and have not have a problem with it since. It seems to be (on our trucks) that moisture in the air condenses in the column (especially in the winter with the snow and cold) and will then freeze in place if left outside and a simple spray will prevent it from happening

Old 07-02-2010, 04:17 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 06firedak
for some reason latley i cant get my dak to shift out of park. doesnt happen all the time and when it does it seems it is depends on how i step on the brake pedal. some times i have to stomp on it acouple times and some times it seems if i use my left foot to press it instead of my right it works. what the heck is going on?
the angle of the arch in your left foot is different therefore causing a slight shift to the side in the brake pedal as it goes down therefore enabling the pin to come into contact sooner allowing it to work.....

really though. this happened to me, i just held the brake pedal down and cycled the safety switch a few times until you hear the solenoid in the column start clicking. hasnt happened since.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: sticky shifter