3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Need trailer hitch (2005 Dak 4.7L V8 RWD)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 12:02 AM
saroni
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need trailer hitch (2005 Dak 4.7L V8 RWD)

OK, so I know this topic has been discussed to death, but I just spent a couple of hours educating myself on trailer hitches and towing and want to make sure I have this right.

The DodgeForum has been a huge help in the past...so here I am again...

I own a 2005 Dak 4.7L V8, RWD only (no tow package) and am in need of a trailer hitch.

Goal: Pull either a 4x8 or 5x8 U-Haul trailer from CA to FL. Looking at the specs, weight certainly shouldn't be an issue and these trailers are outfitted with surge brakes, so no brake controller should be needed. Thinking I can deal with additional wiring / brake controllers when I have a trailer that requires one.

1. I can't find my gear ratio. I think its going to be either 3.55 or 3.92. Should I care?
2. All I need is a hitch, hitch ball, lock, some beer, and wire adapter for the trailer's brake lights, correct?
3. Looking for recommendations / input / links to existing threads / articles...

Every Class 3 hitch I see comes with a bar, except this one:

http://www.trailerhitches.com/traile...lass3hitch.cfm

http://www.trailerhitches.com/images/pdf/CTM1293.pdf

So, I thought - WTF? First I have seen of this kind, but it states it is a Class 3 hitch...

For the price, looks good, easy to install, and I should have no problem getting my hands on a torque wrench.

Last edited by saroni; 07-03-2010 at 12:05 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:45 PM
dakota_raven
Record Breaker

so i get that you only need the reciever and the hitch ball? do you have the factory tow hitch without the reciever under your truck? if not your best bet is to go to a uhaul place and they install hitches and harnesses for any vehicle.. for the gear info you can contact dodge and with your vin# they will email you a build sheet for your truck with every nut and bolt installed on your truck. if you do a search you will find the link for the build sheet!! good luck!!

Last edited by dakota_raven; 07-03-2010 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-03-2010, 12:54 PM
popsnbeer
Captain

This is what you want. Install that yourself and then head to uhaul or another hitch place to get your wiring installed (shouldn't cost you more than $50 to purchase and have installed).

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...rbot_bird.html

Old 07-03-2010, 04:56 PM
newmexicoram
Veteran

Naturally a hitch would be great. However, the trailer sizes you are mentioning are pretty small. Why can't you just use a ball right on the bumper. Unless of course your truck doesn't have the bumper with the hole in it for the ball. I towed U-Hauls biggest enclosed trailer, (5x10 I think) from Calif. to Wyo. on a bumper hitch with my little S-10 and never had any problems. Good Luck.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:43 PM
bigbotes69

I went to U-Haul and they installed the hitch(receiver part because it came with the frame mount from factory) and wiring fro something like 150 give or take. I towed a 6x10 fully loaded for 5 hours then towed a 5x8 from Florida to Virginia totally stuffed to include the bed of the truck and had absolutely no issues with anything. I ran at about 70-75 all the way.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:44 PM
bigbotes69

The ball on bumper method is rated at I believe 2000lbs. About enough for a jet ski. Dude, do the hitch.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:45 PM
bigbotes69

Oh yea. This was all on a 3.7. Got to know what your doing.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:16 PM
saroni

Awesome, thanks everyone! Great information! So...my responses in order of posted replies...

dakota_raven: yes, looking at the photos popsnbeer posted, I believe all I need is the receiver and ball. Cool that it does look that easy.

PopsnBeer: Do I really have to take the bumper off? Instructions I found for the Curt one said I didn't...more to the point...will I have to torque it back on? And why have U-Haul do the wiring_is it a pain in the a$$? I was under the impression you use a splitter off the rear tail lights...? Am I wrong?

Newmexicodak: Those trailers are 900 lbs. empty. Add 1,000 lbs. of junk and I am really pushing the envelope with a simple ball in the bumper. So, I have to side with bigbotes69 in that a receiver is a much better way to go. The bed will be full of junk as well and I would much rather have a nice hitch for use later to tow a boat or something.

Bigbotes69: Agreed. Getting a receiver and ball.

Anyone: Am I understanding this correctly in that a class 3 receiver can support both a "standard" hitch and "weight distribution" type, should a trailer require more than 5,000 lbs. supported weight (max being 7500)? Granted, I'm not planning on doing this level of towing anytime soon, but would like some clarification on whether or not I am absorbing all of the terminology and options correctly.

Thanks again folks _ you've been a huge help!!!

Old 07-03-2010, 11:19 PM
bigbotes69

FYI...the bumper does NOT have to come off, just loosen it.

Old 07-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should be good to go with that receiver in 94rt10ohio's thread. You won't have any trouble towing those trailers, I have a 4.7 with the 3.55 gearing and I towed a STUFFED Uhaul 6x12 trailer from upstate NY to NJ and then up to Maine without any trouble. You hardly know it's back there most of the time.

Quick Reply: Need trailer hitch (2005 Dak 4.7L V8 RWD)