3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

First Real Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 08:29 PM
bruno426
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Real Issue

Okay, so I disconnected the battery, while replacing the washer fluid pump today. Then I went and filled the truck up, It was almost totally empty. On the way into the gas station, I had no problems. It took like 19.4 gallons to fill it, so it was pretty much totally empty.

The pumps were EXTREMLY slow today. When I left, I headed up the hill, and when I made it to the first light, I put the clutch in, incase it turned on me. As I was going around the bend, I noticed a lot of resistance on the wheel. I looked down, and the truck had died. I restarted it, and kept on going. Let the clutch back out, and headed on my way.

Someone went to turn, and I pushed the clutch in again, when I did, I watched the RPM's. I once said that as long as I was above a decent speed, it would hold around 1200-1500. But this time it dropped to that area, sat for a second, and then nosedived. It got down to like 450, and tried to come back but didn't and died totally.

I restarted and went on.
It did this probably 15 times after I filled up. You guys think this was just a bad batch of gas, or since I disconnected the battery, was the computer working on new operating parameters? Or was it that there were bubbles in the fuel system since it was so close to empty?

After I got where I was going, it sat for about a half hour. When I headed back home, It didn't die once.

I did notice, and it may just be the hypochondriac in me after things like this happen. But I also seemed to notice that the clutch seemed to have more vibration than usual when I depressed it. I cant imagine that anything came apart in the bellhousing that would cause this without causing a catastrophic faliure.

What ya guys think. Once I eat a little of the gas down, I will put some good stuff in there to maybe mix it down.

Old 02-12-2011, 08:35 PM
Blown287
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That has happened to me brother. I got a tank of gas that was overloaded with ethanol and my truck kept dying. I don't mind ethanol/methanol when I'm making boost but under everyday driving it sucks, lol.
http://azstarnet.com/business/local/...56d107ef0.html

Old 02-12-2011, 10:04 PM
rengnath
Champion

Since you were so low, you couldve possibly got some water/solids from the bottom of the tank. Im guessing there really isnt an issue, just the low gas/batch of bad gas. The vibration couldve possibly been the engine idling rough from whatever was wrong with the gas.

Old 02-12-2011, 10:31 PM
bruno426
Captain

I hope so, it is not quite warm enough to go ahead and do all the work that I have planned for it.

Old 02-12-2011, 11:36 PM
The Dutch Touch
Veteran

hey bruno hows the deal with the exhaust going?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:03 PM
bruno426
Captain

Originally Posted by The Dutch Touch
I got a new one sitting in the box in the garage, just waiting for someone in the US that wants it. Offered 350 plus 75 shipping I haven't opened it, dont want to touch want nothing to do with it other than to get it off my hands.

Old 02-13-2011, 02:52 PM
fingers588
Amateur

Originally Posted by The Dutch Touch
Yeah, curious if you still got the used one laying around too?

Quick Reply: First Real Issue