3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

SRS & ORC Fault Codes Caused By Aftermarket Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 01:55 PM
Paul025
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS & ORC Fault Codes Caused By Aftermarket Radio Install

I recently had professionally installed an Alpine radio with Focal speakers to get good sound. Ever since, I've gotten fault codes that the SRS & ORC (airbags) are unable to communicate with the radio and the amplifier. The proper databus connections were supposedly installed. Also, the new radio simply stops working at random and has to be "reset" by pulling out and re-inserting the main fuse.

I'm concerned that this is a safety problem, not just a radio problem. Have any of you encountered this? Does the SRS & ORC run through the factory radio?

Old 01-28-2023, 01:19 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

The only code I get with my aftermarket stereo is 'U0184 - Lost communication with radio', which is normal. I have never has any SRS codes pop up due to the radio, and it shouldn't cause any. I'd question whether the radio install was done properly with the correct wiring adaptor/Harness.

I've had to remove and replace my radio fuse to get it working again, twice IIRC. Both times were after my truck was getting repaired and the battery was most likely disconnected. The radio did not ever simply shut down and need that reset.

The SRS and other systems run through the instrument cluster, I had my instrument cluster replaced to repair the power locks which would not work. That was under warranty at a Dodge dealership forever ago. I'm not suggesting that is your issue though.

Quick Reply: SRS & ORC Fault Codes Caused By Aftermarket Radio Install