3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

930 cv high angles help

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:09 AM
Dakkkota
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 930 cv high angles help

im realy not use to thim but im really interestead in these but i heard that our cv boots lont last with a leveling kit what about a long travel and alot more angle?? is there bullet proof boots?

Old 02-13-2011, 12:02 AM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the boots is not the problem. its the actually joint inside the boot. the outter CV joint can take 30 degrees of "flex" if you will....the inner was only designed for like 12 degrees...why mopar did this is beyond me.

so the inner cv joint only needs to be replaced with the 930's which is just a porsche variant of what you 4x4 guys already have... they can take 30 something degrees of travel so you not longer have that bind that you guys keep talking about.

to replace all you do is clip the clamp holding the boot on, slide the boot down, and disassemble the old joint and replace with new. as far as which one to buy. its up to you. as long as its a 930 cv. whether you wanna fork out the extra dime for a polished or cnc light weight is up to you

edit: and as far as long travel goes. you acutally need to purchase longer 300m material 33 spline axles depending on how much the control arms are extended.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 PM
Anthony Grego
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did anybody do these yeat and if so where did you get them cuz my CVs keep binding and the boots keep being blown

Old 07-27-2013, 09:15 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

How high is your leveling kit? This is actually the first I've heard of these replacement cvs. I'm surprised no one else has done this mod to get 3" kits on.. Other than the fact the strut also bumps the arm during articulation at that height.

Old 07-27-2013, 09:18 PM
Anthony Grego
Professional

also im seeing a lot of the 930 CVs saying 28 spine. whats the spine count we need for a dakota

Old 07-27-2013, 09:28 PM
Anthony Grego
Professional

I have the 2" daystar kit and it keeps bottoming out my cv angle on the inner joint and eating the boots one the inner too

Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

That sucks man, try pming projektdirtfab to see if he can point you in the right direction. He has a facebook page under a similar name where he puts his truck stuff.

Just out of curiousity, what color is your truck?

Old 08-09-2015, 03:26 AM
zeejohnson4412
Default Does this work?

Originally Posted by projektdirtfab
the boots is not the problem. its the actually joint inside the boot. the outter CV joint can take 30 degrees of "flex" if you will....the inner was only designed for like 12 degrees...why mopar did this is beyond me.

so the inner cv joint only needs to be replaced with the 930's which is just a porsche variant of what you 4x4 guys already have... they can take 30 something degrees of travel so you not longer have that bind that you guys keep talking about.

to replace all you do is clip the clamp holding the boot on, slide the boot down, and disassemble the old joint and replace with new. as far as which one to buy. its up to you. as long as its a 930 cv. whether you wanna fork out the extra dime for a polished or cnc light weight is up to you

edit: and as far as long travel goes. you acutally need to purchase longer 300m material 33 spline axles depending on how much the control arms are extended.

So I just bought the 2.5 inch leveling kit. Before I install it I would like to upgrade my cv joints to circumvent this "binding" issue. Now I have researched the Porsche 930 cv joints and they appear to be shorter than the stock cv's. Is this a problem? Would I have to buy longer half axles? Also would I have to buy or have an adapter made to couple with the front dif?

Last edited by zeejohnson4412; 08-09-2015 at 03:37 AM.
Old 08-09-2015, 10:26 AM
i.who.made.you
Professional

Can you throw a link to what you were thinking about buying?

You would probably be better off getting the 2" diff drop from JMR. Cheap, easy to bolt on, and effective.

Old 08-09-2015, 05:16 PM
zeejohnson4412

Originally Posted by i.who.made.you
Can you throw a link to what you were thinking about buying?

You would probably be better off getting the 2" diff drop from JMR. Cheap, easy to bolt on, and effective.
This is the 2.5in leveling kit i bought:
http://www.roughcountry.com/dodge-suspension-lift-kit-397s.html

I Think that the dif drop kit is probably my most cost effective option to utilize the stock cv's. Thank you i.who.made.you

Quick Reply: 930 cv high angles help