3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Suspension Squeaking: Seasonal thing or sign of maintenance due?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 10:26 AM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Suspension Squeaking: Seasonal thing or sign of maintenance due?

Hey Guys, I've noticed in the past couple weeks that my suspension is starting to squeak a lot when I go over bumps and curbs. Coincidentally it started about the same time that things started to warm up, so I am curious if it's just because of the weather change and will go away or if it is a sign that there is some work to be done on it. I'm pretty sure our Daks do not have ports to lube the chassis. If I am wrong please let me know. It's Spring now and it's time to give her a good detailing inside and out and treat her right after getting me through another heavy winter.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:57 AM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ill take "Lower ball joints" for $500, please.

Im gussing the lower ball joints are shot. Normally the lowers tend to squeek, while the uppers tend to clunk. I recommend finding a small shop that will install Moogs for you. If you do both sides, you are looking at $100 or so for 2 ball joints, plus labor. You can also choose to get the uppers swapped out right away, along with the tie rod ends to be sure you wont have any more problems.

Last edited by rengnath; 04-27-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:56 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

what he said.....

Old 04-27-2011, 03:34 PM
italiandominator
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rengnath
Ill take "Lower ball joints" for $500, please.

Im gussing the lower ball joints are shot. Normally the lowers tend to squeek, while the uppers tend to clunk. I recommend finding a small shop that will install Moogs for you. If you do both sides, you are looking at $100 or so for 2 ball joints, plus labor. You can also choose to get the uppers swapped out right away, along with the tie rod ends to be sure you wont have any more problems.
Good thought, and I would've suspected that except that I had them both replaced recently. What are Moogs? If that is a brand of ball joints it makes me wonder, cuz the ones that I had put in were from Napa.

But, I do need to get new uppers tho, aside from them probably being due for replacement (I have noticed some clunking) I accidentally tore the crap out of the rubber boots when I was installing my leveling kit. Totally forgot about the tie rod ends, thanks for the reminder.

Speaking of my leveling kit, I noticed when installing it the range of articulation was decreased and that when the truck was still on jacks with the front springs fully extended the lower control arm would hit the metal bracket on the springs where they are bolted on. I have no idea, but I am hoping that isn't an issue or if thats the way it was before I messed with it. If it is an issue, I would have no idea what I would need to do to correct it.

Last edited by italiandominator; 04-27-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Suspension Squeaking: Seasonal thing or sign of maintenance due?