3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Strut Replacement HELP...

Old 07-29-2011, 11:51 PM
travis_duckhunter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strut Replacement HELP...

Well guys long time lurker, first time poster here. The infamous front end bug hit me and me being the hard head I am thought I'd replace the struts myself. Well it's middle of the night and my truck sits outside on jack stands.

The main question I have is how are you guys getting the struts out after you have the top three bolts and bottom bolt out? My Chiltons doesnt mention having to remove anything but the sway bar link, which I'm replacing and did anyways.

I did get one out, and honestly didn't have too bad of a time with the bottom strut bolt everyone complains about. My main problem was, after I got all the bolts out, getting the bottom mount "forks" over the lower contol arm, then there wasn't enough room to get the strut assembly to fit between the tie rod and upper control arm. Am I missing something? I pried the strut over the lower control arm, and disassembled the tie rod, which needed to be replaced anyways.

The top bolt of the strut mount was the pain everyone said it would be, but I got it done, and have the strut assembled with the new monroes, however having the same problem getting it in there as I did getting it out, not enough room to fit the strut between the lower control arm and the strut mount attached to the frame? Help me out guys!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:59 PM
travis_duckhunter

By the way, just a little info... Driving a Silver 2006 4x4, 4.7 L Magnum. Not many mods, just tinted the windows, added vent shades, and running Mastercraft AT2's 245 75 16. Just put on new brake pads and rotors last weekened, this weekend is the monroe struts, sway bar links, and outer tie rod end on the passenger side (it was squeaking like crazy). Next is new tires and an alignment and hopefully my front end will be like new. Still not sold on what tires I'm going for, but not going back with the mastercrafts!

Had a runabout boat up until this spring it pulled all summer, and spends its winters pulling duck boats and hitting the backroads in pursuit of waterfowl. I don't treat it bad, but it is used as a truck.

Old 07-30-2011, 08:37 AM
moparmaniac1999
Professional

No clue on how to do that, did you rent a spring compressor? I have the same problems in the making. Where do you live I do the same things you do. One month till early goose and I'm giddy as hell, can't sleep thinking of how to arrange my blind, where to go, and scaring the crap out of jet skiers on labor day weekend shooting on the lake.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:08 AM
cramerica
Record Breaker

Welcome!

I think I understand your problem. Wouldn't lifting that corner of the truck a few inches solve it?

Old 07-30-2011, 10:17 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Read this thread. Had the same problem. Removing the axle and sway bar made it so much easier.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...installed.html

Last edited by jkeaton; 07-30-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:54 PM
MonkeyWrench4000
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand this....

The strut should FALL OUT literally, tons of clearance and room. You don't have a leveling kit so it should go in and out without a hiccup....

Are you not disconnecting the upper control arm or something?? You have too... thats the way you remove struts...

Unbolt the upper control arm, the one bolt at the ball joint, hit the knuckle a few times with a hammer, and it will pop off damage free. Don't use a pickle fork unless you want to replace the control arm. This will allow the lower control arm to drop way down, since its not connected to the upper control arm, the strut will literally begin to fall of the truck. When your ready to re-install it, place it in, jack up the lower arm, bolt in the strut, then simply bolt the upper control arm back to the knuckle, easily. (its only hard when you have a leveling kit) You can bolt it right up with minimum arm strength. Then your done.

Last edited by MonkeyWrench4000; 07-31-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:21 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 333 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000

The strut should FALL OUT literally, tons of clearance and room. You don't have a leveling kit so it should go in and out without a hiccup....

Are you not disconnecting the upper control arm or something?? You have too... thats the way you remove struts...

Unbolt the upper control arm, the one bolt at the ball joint, hit the knuckle a few times with a hammer, and it will pop off damage free. Don't use a pickle fork unless you want to replace the control arm. This will allow the lower control arm to drop way down, since its not connected to the upper control arm, the strut will literally begin to fall of the truck. When your ready to re-install it, place it in, jack up the lower arm, bolt in the strut, then simply bolt the upper control arm back to the knuckle, easily. (its only hard when you have a leveling kit) You can bolt it right up with minimum arm strength. Then your done.
Yep, that would have saved me a ton of time! lol

Old 08-02-2011, 08:38 PM
travis_duckhunter

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000

No I wasn't disconnecting the control arm... Simply because according the the step by step of the manual I have said it wasn't necessary. Thanks for the help and especially the step by step with pics... Giving it another go this weekend, and this time going to my friends who has air tools which will also make things a heck of a lot easier!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:33 AM
Altair
Dak attack!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep that upper control arm is the key step that was probably holding you back. I agree with MonkeyWrench about not using the pickle fork, I did the first time I had my struts out and ended up having to replace the control arm shortly afterward like he warns.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Strut Replacement HELP...