3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Tires and Leveling Kit Are Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 07:24 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
No. Not a coincidence imo...
lol...I know...

Old 11-06-2011, 08:12 PM
cheeseburger
All Star
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

the tie rod i could see but not the boot on the cv axle.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:48 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

funny thing is, the axle that is leaking is the one I installed last summer when I had the vibration issue and thought it was the CV joint. The OEM one on the drivers side (and the tie rod on that side) are fine. So I'm thinking a POS aftermarket driveshaft...lol....also, when I was installing my leveling kit, on the passenger side, because I did not know any different, I used a pickle fork and beat the **** out of the tie rod to get it out. One the drivers side, I just used a hammer on the steering knuckle to separate the tie rod (no pickle fork). soooo...I'm thinking I did in the tie rod myself and the axle I got is a cheap POS. She's a road queen.

Old 11-06-2011, 11:24 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MonkeyWrench4000
How did you figure it was 4"?

Its not possible. You cannot compare it to the back. Your back end is in a squat from your cap, clearly.

The only way you could know for sure how much lift you got from the kit is if you had measured BEFORE you put the kit on, and then after.

Looks like a 2" lift to me. Ive installed a TM, a Daystar and a AutoSpring brand myself.
I had a Cap on my 05 2wd, and it made it squad VERY slightly. and it was a bigger cap then his to.

Originally Posted by muddinbill
haha niiiiice. my winters are too unpredictable to have a 2wd.
The weather here is unpredictable, We had snow in places like 2 months ago. lol I wanted a 4x4 but I got my 2wd cheap. Yay for livin in Nova Scotia, Canada haha

Old 11-07-2011, 09:06 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Reject
I had a Cap on my 05 2wd, and it made it squad VERY slightly. and it was a bigger cap then his to.

The weather here is unpredictable, We had snow in places like 2 months ago. lol I wanted a 4x4 but I got my 2wd cheap. Yay for livin in Nova Scotia, Canada haha
I ended up with 4x4 because the deal was too good to pass up! 4x4 just gets you further away from the tow truck!

You're fine with 4x2, as long as you "drive".

Old 11-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Reject
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by northgator8
I ended up with 4x4 because the deal was too good to pass up! 4x4 just gets you further away from the tow truck!

You're fine with 4x2, as long as you "drive".
I got myself some Nice Snow Tires, And a old US Military Container to hold a few hundred pounds of Traction Sand for well... Traction haha

I wanted a 4x4, But mine was around 5k cheaper then all the 4x4 I found dealer or private. Was also over 2k cheaper then any 2wd.

Old 11-07-2011, 10:57 AM
MitsuRaider
All Star

The only reason I would have picked a 4x4 over the 4x2 is for the neat sticker that they came with....lol I have no use for a 4x4

Old 11-07-2011, 11:17 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

4" of lift in the front?? I don't think so. It may "appear" that it was lifted that far, but in reality it was not. If you had actually achieved 4" of lift in the front, your cv axles would shatter the joints the first 50 feet of driving you did after the installation. I think there was one member on here with a 4x4 that installed the 2.5" kit. He said everything was good in the front end, but for some reason, I dont think we have heard an update on it in a long time.

Old 11-07-2011, 12:28 PM
rengnath
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes .... 4" of lift would make me cringe! Something doesnt seem to be settling right. A 2" kit should put your front wheel wells within 0-.5" of the rear wheels wells when parked on level ground .... If you dont have any weight in the back and youre on stock suspension. My front is 1" lower than my rear with the 1.5" kit

Old 11-07-2011, 01:23 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

I continue to enjoy the rake mine has...

Quick Reply: New Tires and Leveling Kit Are Installed!