3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dealers and reflashes: your experiences?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 PM
varnerhba
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by thecause17
No they don't all come with it,most don't have the lsd, and no dodge comes with posi, that's a GM term...
ok ok bro back the pedal up, GM didnt make the word "posi".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

i just wanna know if it locks up better, or is there any more advantage to yours than my stock LSD than a stock LOL

Old 01-31-2012, 11:18 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by varnerhba
ok ok bro back the pedal up, GM didnt make the word "posi".
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

i just wanna know if it locks up better, or is there any more advantage to yours than my stock LSD than a stock LOL
You're missing the point of what I said. Lsd, asd, trac loc, posi, whatever you want to call it, are essentially referring to the same thing. Yes there different types, but some of the terminology is based off of what the manufacturer calls it, hence my reference to "posi" which refers to GM's name for it, "positraction. Ford calls it Trac-Lok, and I think chysler was calling it anti-spin differential.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I probably will be in your eyes, but instead of hijacking my thread and giving me links to look at, start your own topic about "posi" or surf wikipedia about "posi" which is an lsd in the first place.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 AM
varnerhba
Veteran

You're missing the point of what I said. Lsd, asd, trac loc, posi, whatever you want to call it, are essentially referring to the same thing. Yes there different types, but some of the terminology is based off of what the manufacturer calls it, hence my reference to "posi" which refers to GM's name for it, "positraction. Ford calls it Trac-Lok, and I think chysler was calling it anti-spin differential.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but I probably will be in your eyes, but instead of hijacking my thread and giving me links to look at, start your own topic about "posi" or surf wikipedia about "posi" which is an lsd in the first place.
no matter what gm dodge or ford calls it, positraction is more terminology than any of those other references. EX: Go down the to an old guy you know that knows about cars, and ask them about positraction, then ask them about traclok,

i understand what your saying but just because GM call is positraction dosent mean they own that right to that name, they just use the more "known" terminology, as ford and may call it traclock, and chrysler calls it anti spin, its just what they happen to call it, and "anti-spin" isnt even a name for chrysler its just what they refer to their LSD as....

Old 02-01-2012, 01:23 AM
thecause17
Veteran

I never said anyone owned any names...I said it was a gm term, which it is. I'm not going to keep beating a dead horse, so whatever makes you fee better, go with that...call it whatever you want.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:49 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm going to use your own Wiki page against you varner lol.

A quote from the link you posted

Alfa Romeo: Q2
American Motors: Twin-Grip
Buick: Positive Traction
Chevrolet/GMC trucks (after 1973): Gov-Lock and Positraction
Chrysler: Sure Grip
Dana Corporation:Trak-Lok or Powr-Lok
Ferrari: E-Diff
Fiat: Viscodrive
Ford: Equa-Lock and Traction-Lok
International: Trak-Lok or Powr-Lok
Jeep: Trac-Lok (clutch-type mechanical), Tru-Lok (gear-type mechanical), and Vari-Lok (gerotor pump)
Oldsmobile: Anti-Spin
Pontiac: Safe-T-Track
Porsche: PSD (electro-hydraulic mechanical)
Saab: Saab XWD eLSD
Studebaker-Packard Corporation: Twin Traction
TVR: Hydratrak

To continue this segway for just one more moment, when I hear posi or positraction, I can only see someone like my father and grandpa saying it. It's an old "term." On that note, I hear it most often referred to as Limited Slip or LSD in forums now days.

One more deferment from the OP to answer your question Varner, my truck was built with an open differential. Many of them were built with the trac-loc LSD. I'm glad to have my Auburn now, as with an open differential, uphill right turns on wet days were very "one wheel happy" and now I can't break free when I'm trying, especially with the new tires!

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread: Dealer flashing.

Personally, I wouldn't want the dealer to flash me. Most the employees are men, and even if I did swing that way, they're usually not that good looking..

Last edited by FrenicX; 02-01-2012 at 02:03 AM.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:56 AM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by FrenicX
I'm going to use your own Wiki page against you varner lol.

A quote from the link you posted

Alfa Romeo: Q2
American Motors: Twin-Grip
Buick: Positive Traction
Chevrolet/GMC trucks (after 1973): Gov-Lock and Positraction
Chrysler: Sure Grip
Dana Corporation:Trak-Lok or Powr-Lok
Ferrari: E-Diff
Fiat: Viscodrive
Ford: Equa-Lock and Traction-Lok
International: Trak-Lok or Powr-Lok
Jeep: Trac-Lok (clutch-type mechanical), Tru-Lok (gear-type mechanical), and Vari-Lok (gerotor pump)
Oldsmobile: Anti-Spin
Pontiac: Safe-T-Track
Porsche: PSD (electro-hydraulic mechanical)
Saab: Saab XWD eLSD
Studebaker-Packard Corporation: Twin Traction
TVR: Hydratrak

To continue this segway for just one more moment, when I hear posi or positraction, I can only see someone like my father and grandpa saying it. It's an old "term." On that note, I hear it most often referred to as Limited Slip or LSD in forums now days.

One more deferment from the OP to answer your question Varner, my truck was built with an open differential. Many of them were built with the trac-loc LSD. I'm glad to have my Auburn now, as with an open differential, uphill right turns on wet days were very "one wheel happy" and now I can't break free when I'm trying, especially with the new tires!

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread: Dealer flashing.

Personally, I wouldn't want the dealer to flash me. Most the employees are men, and even if I did swing that way, they're usually not that good looking..
obviously you get what im saying then, positraction is a old school term. I know it as positraction, LSD is a newere name to me....

Old 02-01-2012, 12:49 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyways...

I'd probably shoot for a SC tuner... unless something has changed, I don't believe the dealer has the option to pick and choose the trans parameters.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM
thecause17
Veteran

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Anyways...

I'd probably shoot for a SC tuner... unless something has changed, I don't believe the dealer has the option to pick and choose the trans parameters.
Yeah that's what I think I'm going to do. Seems to be the best option, but I may regear it as well.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:07 PM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Yeah that's what I think I'm going to do. Seems to be the best option, but I may regear it as well.
Re-gearing would be a huge help.

Old 02-01-2012, 05:41 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Anyways...

never said they can change them just saying they can check them and make sure everything is were it should be, WORST case senario, he pays 52.50 but if nothings wrong then in most states the CAN not charge...

Quick Reply: Dealers and reflashes: your experiences?