3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Personalizing/mods. Finally making it MY truck.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 02:40 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Personalizing/mods. Finally making it MY truck.

So apparently I've been a very good boy this year because I'm getting a lot of crap for my truck. This is the first (second i guess) vehicle I've thought of keeping long enough to make it worth wasting money on.
I guess my better half agrees

The list starts with my first upgrade this season, I swapped my open diff out for an Auburn High Performance LSD... I dread open diffs. Thanks to my GR warrenty, I got the whole rear end rebuilt at the same time and only paid the labor to install the diff.

Next I wanted to upgrade my brakes a bit so I took the route most of the forum members did and got stuff from brakeperformance.com. The premium slotted/dimpled rotors and premium semi-metalic pads.
http://brakeperformance.com/brake-ro...ake-Rotors.php

My front struts are not worth the tinfoil they are made out of, so I have ordered the Monroes and also got the strut mounting kit from Monroe too.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-...30-1272254&sr=
https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/order-...30-1272254&sr=

I wanted a beefier sound but I didn't want to spend much so I peiced together an arrangment with a Dynomax Thrush Welded Muffler, it's supposed to sound a lot like a flowmaster, and It really does. I left the first resonator on and hacked off the rear one, and threw this in where the stock (monster/beast/horrid eyesore) muffler was. I'll put up a soundclip when I can.
http://www.amazon.com/Thrush-17656-W.../dp/B0013UBC7Q

The rear will be getting the Belltech 2212DD (shorter shock) because I'll be applying a 2 inch static drop once I get things torn apart.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BEL-2212DD/?rtype=10

I'll be cutting my front springs for the two inches. As for the rear, BAdassR/T was kind enough to ship me his 2 inch Canuck brackets. Thanks man.

For wheels, well it was an EASY choice since back in march when Ruger put those rims on his (former) truck, I haven't thought of any other rim. I ordered from this place before researching them.. the price was very very good... They have TERRIBLE reviews and I'm worried. But, crossing my fingers.. most customers get their orders...
http://4wheelonline.com/KMC674_-_Clo....168554.619344

For tires, I wanted a sport tire that was as good in the snow as I could find and I narrowed it down to these from toyo. I ordered from these fairly unknown guys, tirecrawler.com and I had a great experience, dude had very good customer service and their price was amazing.
http://tirecrawler.com/shop/detail_t...product_id=876

I'll be selling what I don't need after this, my stock alloys have 3 brand new tires on them, less than 5k on the three and unknown on the 4th, but still plenty of tread.

My stock muffler is in perfect shape, I think it was replaced not too long ago, I see evidence that the exhaust was returned to stock before carmax sold it. I may not sell it though, strict muffler laws around here so we will see.

Last edited by FrenicX; 12-03-2011 at 02:46 AM. Reason: pic error
Old 12-03-2011, 03:04 AM
crunkcity954
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i like the route you are going. I lost all my stock hardware to take the body lift off or i would have done the same thing but with a bigger wheel.What size rim and tire selection are you doing and if your car is blue why are you going with a black wheel?Hey it to each his own cant wait to see some pics.how much was the LSD

Old 12-03-2011, 03:27 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by crunkcity954
i like the route you are going. I lost all my stock hardware to take the body lift off or i would have done the same thing but with a bigger wheel.What size rim and tire selection are you doing and if your car is blue why are you going with a black wheel?Hey it to each his own cant wait to see some pics.how much was the LSD
The wheels are 20x9 +15mm and tires are 265 50r20.

I've thought about the blue/black thing. It doesn't mesh perfectly but, thing is I love black and blue is my favorite color, but I wouldn't really choose it for a car color. I'm hoping it will be a unique look without being ugly. I'm not a huge fan of chrome anymore and when I can, I will be painting my grill and bumpers. I might go half black all the way around, not sure yet. I will for sure be adding more black; heads, tails, and 3rd.

The LSD was 426 with free shipping from Amazon with Prime account. eBay has the same for 392 plus $20-30 shipping. I can't wait to try it in the snow, so much fun. Fishtails are more likely, but, much more predictable when it does happen.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:39 AM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Here's a better representation of what it should look like. My sig is kinda cartoonie.
blueballs3.png

Old 12-03-2011, 07:25 AM
Backwoods18
Record Breaker

Wow, that is quite a little list of mods you have there. If it comes out close to your picture ^^^^ it will look very nice

Old 12-03-2011, 08:42 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Great mods!

Old 12-03-2011, 09:48 AM
kbond
Professional

Originally Posted by FrenicX
Here's a better representation of what it should look like. My sig is kinda cartoonie.
are you switching your gas tank cap side too? lol.

Old 12-03-2011, 12:33 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by kbond
are you switching your gas tank cap side too? lol.
lol, nope. I can't afford a 5" hole saw that i'm only gonna use once!

i didn't even notice that haha.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:27 PM
kbond
Professional

Originally Posted by FrenicX
lol, nope. I can't afford a 5" hole saw that i'm only gonna use once!

i didn't even notice that haha.
or does a dual gas tank fill spout reveal some unknown horse power gains? along with stickers worth 5 hp each?

Old 12-03-2011, 01:46 PM
FrenicX
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by kbond
or does a dual gas tank fill spout reveal some unknown horse power gains? along with stickers worth 5 hp each?
175+5+5 RWHP!!!

I think the real gain would be the extra gallon/gallon and a half you could fit in the fill spout.

Or flip the doors around and drive with them open/caps off.
RAM AIR GAS TANK!!!

Quick Reply: Personalizing/mods. Finally making it MY truck.