3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

LED Reverse Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 05:57 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Reverse Lights

so I was bored on eBay a couple weeks ago and decided to order some 3157 LED bulbs for my reverse lights...$3.00 and some patience for the bulbs to arrive from China and I got myself a nice pair of bulbs that arrived today. I took off my tail light and threw on the e-brake, thankfully, popped the truck in reverse and plugged in the new bulb. They work perfect and will definitely be much brighter but....the bulb is too big for the housing. The LED's are slightly larger than the Sylvania bulbs. Any ideas on what I can do? I don't want these bulbs to go to waste..my idea was either file the plastic hole slightly to make room for the bulb or maybe I can take the backing off the light and plug the bulb in from the other side? Here is a pic of the bulbs..

IMAG0567.jpg

Last edited by 06Dak4.7Silver; 03-13-2012 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:37 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
so I was bored on eBay a couple weeks ago and decided to order some 3157 LED bulbs for my reverse lights...$3.00 and some patience for the bulbs to arrive from China and I got myself a nice pair of bulbs that arrived today. I took off my tail light and threw on the e-brake, thankfully, popped the truck in reverse and plugged in the new bulb. They work perfect and will definitely be much brighter but....the bulb is too big for the housing. The LED's are slightly larger than the Sylvania bulbs. Any ideas on what I can do? I don't want these bulbs to go to waste..my idea was either file the plastic hole slightly to make room for the bulb or maybe I can take the backing off the light and plug the bulb in from the other side? Here i a pic of the bulbs..

u know when you buy those bulbs from china your just supporting their economy, and destroying ours lol being a red sox fan and all

Old 03-13-2012, 06:53 PM
ericemery
Retired Administrator
Hall of Fame Member

Not sure where you can buy led's that don't ultimately support the Chinese economy...

If it were me, I would start by sanding down what you can off the Led housings outter edge. The slowly sand down what you need to off the tail light. Don't go crazy. Also, probably wouldn't be a bad idea to use a dab of silicone to help seal after sanding.

Old 03-13-2012, 06:58 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

True..I could sand down the plastic housing of the bulb. It is hardly bigger and I can almost get it to slide through but need 1 or 2 mm probably.

Well...LED's are cool and efficient so uhh go Red Sox! Damn Angels fan..

Old 03-13-2012, 08:33 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those are cheap ones, I had Amber ones just to test the flasher issue, They are very dim.

Also watch yourself not all the 3157 or 4157 will NOT fit!
These type DO ON, As the base isnt long enough to reach the socket on our trucks. The Bottom picture you can see the difference in the base, The lower one works

These fit, I have a few like them the SMD LED type, they work GREAT and only cost me like $2-$6 for the 2 of them.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 PM
varnerhba
Veteran

True..I could sand down the plastic housing of the bulb. It is hardly bigger and I can almost get it to slide through but need 1 or 2 mm probably.

Well...LED's are cool and efficient so uhh go Red Sox! Damn Angels fan..
just wait till we play next time lol

btw i sent it should see it 3-5 days

Old 03-14-2012, 12:19 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

hmm maybe I'll get the narrow style like those..the ones I got don't look bad at all and when I plugged it in it looked great its just that they dont fit not fair haha I waited awhile for the shipping

Thanks Varner

Old 03-15-2012, 12:39 AM
varnerhba
Veteran

hmm maybe I'll get the narrow style like those..the ones I got don't look bad at all and when I plugged it in it looked great its just that they dont fit not fair haha I waited awhile for the shipping

Thanks Varner
i gues your alright for a red sox fan, anytime buddy!(wish i had more free parts to give away LOL)

Old 03-15-2012, 07:38 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

If you don't like the Boston decal then simply just blur it out and look at the rest of the beautiful truck

Old 03-15-2012, 10:16 AM
varnerhba
Veteran

If you don't like the Boston decal then simply just blur it out and look at the rest of the beautiful truck
you got a point there and i wont sharpen it, its gives me a dull headache....

Quick Reply: LED Reverse Lights