3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Strange Idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM
RedTorpedo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Idle

So today I got in the truck to come home and like always I start the truck and wait for the idle to come down to normal. Nothing strange has happened until today, when I started the truck it revved several time on it's own before returning to it's normal starting procedure and idle. Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned?

Old 04-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Eimer123
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happens to a lot of people. Its called time to take the carb off clean the snot out of it, and the sensors.

Simple to do, just be careful with the sensors.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:24 PM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

Clean your Throttle Position Sensor and if that fixes the surging then replace that sensor. I had that exact issue..does it do it when you put it into park as well? The butterfly valve on my throttle body was actually free of any carbon buildup to my surprise. But the TPS...it has been a problem for a lot of us on here

Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 AM
RedTorpedo

Originally Posted by 06Dak4.7Silver
Clean your Throttle Position Sensor and if that fixes the surging then replace that sensor. I had that exact issue..does it do it when you put it into park as well? The butterfly valve on my throttle body was actually free of any carbon buildup to my surprise. But the TPS...it has been a problem for a lot of us on here
Well I've only had the truck for two weeks, but in that time this is the only instance of this happening. Thanks for the info though guys. Luckily it's still under warranty from the dealer, so I'm going to make them do the work.

Quick Reply: Strange Idle