3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2006 dakota 4x4 Rancho strut/moog springs

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 07:59 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gjmoran
jesus...$1400 in just parts. imagine if you had paid someone else to do it all for you. i wish i had the know how, tools and most of all patience to tackle something like that. oh and money too haha
None of this stuff is rocket science! Especially the suspension stuff. If you know righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, you have most of what you need in terms of knowledge!

Download the service manual and the parts manuals from the sticky at the top of the forum. Read the section that you are concerned about, read it again. Print off the section, take it out to your truck and just look at it and read the section, identifying the parts and procedures as you go, without actually doing anything. The service manual actually shows you what tools you need too! Some of the expensive tools can be borrowed from auto parts stores, others can be substituted for with a BFH or a pair of vice grips, especially if you are not trying to save the nuts and bolts. Then go out and buy the parts - buy extra parts, including bolts and nuts, NOT from the hardware store! Buy the hardware kits if availble for whatever you are taking apart to get to what you are replacing, things that are un-used (un-opened) can be taken back if you don't need them. Oh, and park the working vehicle behind the one you are working on before you take anything apart - I learned that the hard way!.

Now get dirty, take it slowly, even master-techs get into things that don't work for them. Don't get discouraged when you can't get a bolt loose. Use heat, penetrating oil, BFHammer, etc. If someone says it will take you 2 hours, count on 4 and don't make dinner reservations! It might take 6! If you try to rush, you either brake something after the parts counter is closed or you forget to do something and have to go back in when you discover an extra part on the driveway. But it is all do-able!

Another option is to take a course at a community college - the benefit there is that they have the shop for you to use - you can often work on your own vehicle as you learn! You would have an experienced instructor, plus a bunch of guys to help with the heavy lifting.

You would come away with a fixed truck and a bit of knowledge.

Oh, and no beer until it is all buttoned up and the test drive is over! You don't want to be doing this stuff half pie-eyed! Just a recipe for disaster!

Quite frankly, it is a little sad that someone has a truck and not a set of sockets . . . just sayin'

Last edited by northgator8; 09-21-2012 at 08:10 AM. Reason: spelling errors! and adde the bit about the beer
Old 09-21-2012, 08:22 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8
None of this stuff is rocket science! Especially the suspension stuff. If you know righty-tighty, lefty-loosey, you have most of what you need in terms of knowledge!

Download the service manual and the parts manuals from the sticky at the top of the forum. Read the section that you are concerned about, read it again. Print off the section, take it out to your truck and just look at it and read the section, identifying the parts and procedures as you go, without actually doing anything. The service manual actually shows you what tools you need too! Some of the expensive tools can be borrowed from auto parts stores, others can be substituted for with a BFH or a pair of vice grips, especially if you are not trying to save the nuts and bolts. Then go out and buy the parts - buy extra parts, including bolts and nuts, NOT from the hardware store! Buy the hardware kits if availble for whatever you are taking apart to get to what you are replacing, things that are un-used (un-opened) can be taken back if you don't need them. Oh, and park the working vehicle behind the one you are working on before you take anything apart - I learned that the hard way!.

Now get dirty, take it slowly, even master-techs get into things that don't work for them. Don't get discouraged when you can't get a bolt loose. Use heat, penetrating oil, BFHammer, etc. If someone says it will take you 2 hours, count on 4 and don't make dinner reservations! It might take 6! If you try to rush, you either brake something after the parts counter is closed or you forget to do something and have to go back in when you discover an extra part on the driveway. But it is all do-able!

Another option is to take a course at a community college - the benefit there is that they have the shop for you to use - you can often work on your own vehicle as you learn! You would have an experienced instructor, plus a bunch of guys to help with the heavy lifting.

You would come away with a fixed truck and a bit of knowledge.

Oh, and no beer until it is all buttoned up and the test drive is over! You don't want to be doing this stuff half pie-eyed! Just a recipe for disaster!

Quite frankly, it is a little sad that someone has a truck and not a set of sockets . . . just sayin'
TRUE STORY RIGHT HERE! Plus you have this awesome forum to help with most things besides turning the wrenches! As far as tool, just tell the significant other or your wallet that they have multiple uses and can be used multiple times. Before you know it, you'll have acquired a bunch of them. Don't be afraid to check out CL for tools too. Specialty tools you can rent. After you are said and done, it's an awesome feeling of accomplishment even if things get hairy and tough.

Old 09-21-2012, 01:29 PM
michigan2006DakotaSLT4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I collected a few of the expensive parts over time.. I had to kinda budget the money here and there for the springs and the struts. the rest was kinda unexpected (like the lower control arms) butt was well worth it. Very noticeable by friends and family now. I can imagine it would have been an equal amount, or more paying someone else to do it. I have seen some of the same name brand parts on eBay for a little cheaper, but surfing for the right deal can take too much time. Putting the stock replacement parts back on is not really a good idea.
My old lady about freaked out when she saw the receipts i had in my file cabinet for the parts lol now she hounding me to spend some money on her trailblazer lol

Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
michigan2006DakotaSLT4x4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct..no rocket science, just a decent set of tools and the drive to get it done. sometimes a second set of hands can help too.

Quick Reply: 2006 dakota 4x4 Rancho strut/moog springs