DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Dakota (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota-68/)
-   -   Blinking Check engine light (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota/337395-blinking-check-engine-light.html)

littleBIGdodge 09-23-2012 04:15 PM

Blinking Check engine light

So recently my dakota has had a blinking check engine light. When i turn the key to the "on" position the check engine light flashes, and then it makes the beeping tone while it flashes. Its the same tone as the low fuel tone but its repeating. It never used to do this, but when i turn the key to start the truck the light has been shutting itself off. I went to autozone to have them see if they could pull code a from the obd, but their scanner was giving them an error message "could not connect to vehicle".

Has anyone seen this before?

06Dak4.7Silver 09-23-2012 05:58 PM

Pretty sure it is supposed to..as long as it doesn't do that with the engine running it is nothing

littleBIGdodge 09-23-2012 07:05 PM

I should have mentioned that the flashing and noise occurs separately and after the normal bulb check. Sometimes this second event of the flashing and ringing doesnt even happen every time, which is so odd. Then even stranger is that the obd all of a sudden cannot be read anymore.

06Dak4.7Silver 09-23-2012 08:23 PM

maybe its a computer related issue..I will try to remember to turn the key on in mine and watch tomorrow

Alfons 09-23-2012 09:08 PM

Personally, I'd have someone knowledgeable take a look at it - for most makes and models, a flashing CEL means the PCM has detected/analyzed a serious problem. If a diagnostic tool couldn't connect to my PCM, along with a flashing CEL and an alarm, I'd start getting concerned. I would try to connect another diagnostic tool/reader to rule out the possibility that there was a problem with the other tool.

jasonw 09-23-2012 09:46 PM

If other tools at other shops cannot connect either, you are probably looking at a computer issue.

durapu 09-24-2012 02:32 AM

Check your Fuses ... I have seen many cars where the OBD it on the same circuit as the Cig lighter .. when the readers cant connect then there is a lack of power to the OBD plug

carlb87 09-24-2012 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by littleBIGdodge (Post 2873733)
So recently my dakota has had a blinking check engine light. When i turn the key to the "on" position the check engine light flashes, and then it makes the beeping tone while it flashes. Its the same tone as the low fuel tone but its repeating. It never used to do this, but when i turn the key to start the truck the light has been shutting itself off. I went to autozone to have them see if they could pull code a from the obd, but their scanner was giving them an error message "could not connect to vehicle".

Has anyone seen this before?

DO NOT DRIVE IT! (while its flashing) If the Check engine light is flashing it is missing really bad and dumping raw unburnt fuel into the cats, it can cause sirious damage and or a fire. This is a universal obd2 signal. As soon as it starts flashing it is telling for you to pull over and shut off the vehicle.

jkeaton 09-24-2012 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by carlb87 (Post 2874212)
DO NOT DRIVE IT! (while its flashing) If the Check engine light is flashing it is missing really bad and dumping raw unburnt fuel into the cats, it can cause sirious damage and or a fire. This is a universal obd2 signal. As soon as it starts flashing it is telling for you to pull over and shut off the vehicle.

Huh??

gjmoran 09-24-2012 08:22 AM

thats weird cause mine was flashing when my truck keep sdying out, but if i can get it started i will keep driving it