3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

That time of the year again: remote starters

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 08:08 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by lghtngblt02
Programmable... tell me more? Mine only allows 2 restarts or so I thought.

I am with you though on the distance. I havent had an issue and my truck is a good 3-400 feet from the office building. Distance has never been an issue for me; however the remembering to turn the fan on is the issue.
My Programming button is hidden under the dash around the steering column:

System Programming
Notes:
1. Reconnect the negative battery terminal prior to programming.
2. Up to a total of 8 transmitters can be programmed into memory.
3. Transmitters shipped with complete kits are pre-programmed to the DNA and do not need to be programmed at this time.

1. Transmitter Programming.
A. Make sure battery is connected.
B. Close hood.
C. Turn the ignition to the “on” position.

D. Press and hold the programming button.
After 10 seconds the horn will chirp and the lights will flash 3 times indicating the system is now in transmitter learn mode.
E. Release the programming button.
F. Press button on transmitter to be programmed.

The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 1 time indicating that the transmitter has been learned.
G. Repeat step F for additional transmitters.
2. Option Programming.
The remote start system has several installer programmable options which
can be changed to accomodate different circumstances. In most cases, there will be no need to change any default settings. There will be cases (such as diesel vehicles), where the delay before crank option must be set.
Note:
This system has 2 option banks. Bank 1 has 7 options, and Bank 2 has 2 options. Refer to the Option Bank Chart on page 17 for details.
A. Follow the steps above to enter Transmitter Learn Mode.
B. Press and release the programming button.

The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 4 times indicating the system has entered Option Bank 1.
C. Press and release the brake pedal.

The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 1 time indicating the system is at option 1. Additional press and releases of the brake pedal will advance to the next option. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash according to which option is selected (i.e. Two chirps and flashes indicates option 2).
D. Pressing the transmitter button changes the setting of the option. The status LED (located in the main harness approximately 4” from the module) indicates the setting of the option. LED “on” indicates the option is on, LED “off” indicates the option is off.
E. Pressing and releasing the programming button again will put the system into Option Bank 2. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 5 times indicating the system has entered Option Bank 2.
F. Press and release the brake pedal to cycle through the options in Bank 2.
Notes:
1. Once the system has reached the last option in a bank, pressing and releasing the brake pedal will return back to option 1 in that bank.
2. Once the system has reached Option Bank 2, pressing and releasing the programming button will return back to Option Bank 1.
3. To reset options back to their default setting, while in option learn mode, push and hold the transmitter button until the horn chirps and lights flash 5 times.

This is from the Remote Start manual, all models from the same year appear to be the same, and you can find something on line for free. I can't remember where I got mine, or I'd add a link.

EDIT: I found a link to our install manual! You need to log in, it is free, I used a throw-away email as the contact to reduce spam.

http://documents.codesystems.com/701085.pdf

Last edited by northgator8; 01-04-2013 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Found a Link!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by northgator8
My Programming button is hidden under the dash around the steering column:

System Programming
Notes:
1. Reconnect the negative battery terminal prior to programming.
2. Up to a total of 8 transmitters can be programmed into memory.
3. Transmitters shipped with complete kits are pre-programmed to the DNA and do not need to be programmed at this time.

1. Transmitter Programming.
A. Make sure battery is connected.
B. Close hood.
C. Turn the ignition to the “on” position.

D. Press and hold the programming button.
After 10 seconds the horn will chirp and the lights will flash 3 times indicating the system is now in transmitter learn mode.
E. Release the programming button.
F. Press button on transmitter to be programmed.

The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 1 time indicating that the transmitter has been learned.
G. Repeat step F for additional transmitters.
2. Option Programming.
The remote start system has several installer programmable options which
can be changed to accomodate different circumstances. In most cases, there will be no need to change any default settings. There will be cases (such as diesel vehicles), where the delay before crank option must be set.
Note:
This system has 2 option banks. Bank 1 has 7 options, and Bank 2 has 2 options. Refer to the Option Bank Chart on page 17 for details.
A. Follow the steps above to enter Transmitter Learn Mode.
B. Press and release the programming button.

The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 4 times indicating the system has entered Option Bank 1.
C. Press and release the brake pedal.

The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 1 time indicating the system is at option 1. Additional press and releases of the brake pedal will advance to the next option. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash according to which option is selected (i.e. Two chirps and flashes indicates option 2).
D. Pressing the transmitter button changes the setting of the option. The status LED (located in the main harness approximately 4” from the module) indicates the setting of the option. LED “on” indicates the option is on, LED “off” indicates the option is off.
E. Pressing and releasing the programming button again will put the system into Option Bank 2. The horn will chirp and the lights will flash 5 times indicating the system has entered Option Bank 2.
F. Press and release the brake pedal to cycle through the options in Bank 2.
Notes:
1. Once the system has reached the last option in a bank, pressing and releasing the brake pedal will return back to option 1 in that bank.
2. Once the system has reached Option Bank 2, pressing and releasing the programming button will return back to Option Bank 1.
3. To reset options back to their default setting, while in option learn mode, push and hold the transmitter button until the horn chirps and lights flash 5 times.

This is from the Remote Start manual, all models from the same year appear to be the same, and you can find something on line for free. I can't remember where I got mine, or I'd add a link.

EDIT: I found a link to our install manual! You need to log in, it is free, I used a throw-away email as the contact to reduce spam.

http://documents.codesystems.com/701085.pdf

Good stuff thanks... appears I am at the max run time already.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a Clifford Alarm system and I LOVE IT!!!
It works from over 3000 to 4000 ft away,
Remote will tell me the temperature in the cab by a series of lights.. so if its freezing, before I leave my truck I put heater on blast, than in the morning before work, turn truck on from inside, and I can check to see if my truck is warm by just clicking buttons..

It was a tricky install considering my truck in the 6 speed. Had to put in a relay to bypass the clutch, but of course, I never leave my truck in gear when parked, or when I start it with the remote it will jolt forward a whole parking space.. It comes with a valet switch, so you can turn off remote start feature, hood safety pin, really great alarm.

I also got the BlackJax 5 feature added on, which I love!!
When I lived in Tx, your vehicle could get stolen and within a 5 to 30min drive be in Mexico depending on where you were.. so I needed this feature.
you have to push in a code ex/ star star pound, (fully customized) every time you get into your vehicle after you start your Dakota.. if not once you push brake pedal, or idle over 2000 rpms, or open the door, it will start a countdown and stop sending fuel, so it’s like you’re in neutral, and will come to a stop... alarm going crazy lights flashing.
Now if you’re driving down the road and your door opens, it will start again. Ex/ armed robber gets in drives off, within 2-5 minutes truck will be completey stopped and you just follow the sound of your alarm and you get your beloved Dakota back!!

It has alot of extra functions!

Sorry went off on a tangent there.. I have nothing but good things about my Clifford alarm, its a older model of CLIFFORD 520.4x
*** you will need to have a professional install ***
(so dont have any problems at all... )

http://www.clifford.com/

stacks.jpg
3" Leveling kit- 265/75R16 BFG Rugged Terrains- Custom Intake- Flowmaster 40 w/ custom 3" stacks- Black housing headlights 6k HID- Custom HarleyDavidson Shifter

Last edited by pyrofossil; 01-11-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:41 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pyrofossil
I have a Clifford Alarm system and I LOVE IT!!!
It works from over 3000 to 4000 ft away,
Remote will tell me the temperature in the cab by a series of lights.. so if its freezing, before I leave my truck I put heater on blast, than in the morning before work, turn truck on from inside, and I can check to see if my truck is warm by just clicking buttons..

It was a tricky install considering my truck in the 6 speed. Had to put in a relay to bypass the clutch, but of course, I never leave my truck in gear when parked, or when I start it with the remote it will jolt forward a whole parking space.. It comes with a valet switch, so you can turn off remote start feature, hood safety pin, really great alarm.

I also got the BlackJax 5 feature added on, which I love!!
When I lived in Tx, your vehicle could get stolen and within a 5 to 30min drive be in Mexico depending on where you were.. so I needed this feature.
you have to push in a code ex/ star star pound, (fully customized) every time you get into your vehicle after you start your Dakota.. if not once you push brake pedal, or idle over 2000 rpms, or open the door, it will start a countdown and stop sending fuel, so it’s like you’re in neutral, and will come to a stop... alarm going crazy lights flashing.
Now if you’re driving down the road and your door opens, it will start again. Ex/ armed robber gets in drives off, within 2-5 minutes truck will be completey stopped and you just follow the sound of your alarm and you get your beloved Dakota back!!

It has alot of extra functions!

Sorry went off on a tangent there.. I have nothing but good things about my Clifford alarm, its a older model of CLIFFORD 520.4x
*** you will need to have a professional install ***
(so dont have any problems at all... )

http://www.clifford.com/

3" Leveling kit- 265/75R16 BFG Rugged Terrains- Custom Intake- Flowmaster 40 w/ custom 3" stacks- Black housing headlights 6k HID- Custom HarleyDavidson Shifter
So your remote start works from over half a mile to 3/4 of a mile away?

Old 01-11-2013, 10:02 PM
pyrofossil
Professional
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So your remote start works from over half a mile to 3/4 of a mile away?
The 2 way remote can only work up 2000 feet (fcc regulation on 2way transmission or something like that) and the 1 way remote can work farther than that.. The 1 way remote works the same, just doesn’t give you the confirmation that your command went through. Some of the new one way remotes work up a 1mile away. I have the Matrix 3.3 model which has now been replaced with a new model I mentioned above. I haven’t really measured the distance, I'll pace it out this weekend and let you guys know. My amber lights turn on when the remote start kicks on so I'll pace it out this weekend on one of my runs.

Quick Reply: That time of the year again: remote starters