3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Dodge Dakota Hard Shift When Outside Temperature is Hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 09:54 AM
ask1510
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge Dakota Hard Shift When Outside Temperature is Hot

Hi all,

I bought a 2005 dodge dakota 2wd 6cyl automatic with a 42RLE transmission in it just before winter. It drove fine until the outside air temperature started to rise.

At first when i started the truck the engine would rev up and down and eventually stall only when its hot out. I found that when i started it i could hit the accelerator and the rpms would level out and everything would be ok. once the truck was warmed up i could turn it off and restart it with no problems. Doing some research i found that it might be the idle air control valve. I replaced it and the truck starts fine now.

At some point the truck started shifting hard into second and then eventually third. This only occurs when the out side air temp is high. (not sure what is the exact temp is. about 85F and up maybe). The outside temp can be 70F and the truck will shift without a problem. I have driven it for three hours in 70F and the truck does not have an issue. I was thinking maybe the transmission had to get warm first and then it would start shifting hard again. But this is not the case. One day it was above 85F and I drive it for three hours and it shifted hard into second and third the entire way. For the last two weeks i have been noticing this trend very distinctly.

I have done the basics like check the fluid and made sure there was no dents in the oil pan. My thoughts are maybe it is something to do with the electronics or the solenoid pack.

Any help and suggestions would be great thanks.

Quick Reply: Dodge Dakota Hard Shift When Outside Temperature is Hot