3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Stacking Leveling Kits

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2014, 09:11 PM
i.who.made.you
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stacking Leveling Kits

Before you tell me I'm an idiot and can't do this read the whole post.

Is it possible to stack multiple leveling kits on top each other and safely gain the sum of the two leveling kits in lift? i.e. two 2.5" leveling kits for a 5" leveling kit. Now obviously this wouldn't work because the upper control arms, tie rods, CV axles, brake lines, ABS wiring, sway bar links and probably the lower control arms wouldn't be able to reach down that far and still have any travel length. BUT, could the two leveling kits bolt onto each other since all they are are spacers, and would they be strong enough or would the force of the strut cause them to buckle sideways after catching some air? My greatest concern with this theory is that the mount for the strut might be slightly angled and so a 5" leveling kit would not only move the mount point for the strut down 5" but also forward a tad.

Old 01-15-2014, 11:04 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

I won't tell you you're an idiot. It's your truck. Do whatever you want. I will offer this:
1. You will never get the control arms together with a 5" spacer.
2. IF you do figure out a way, your CV joints will explode within 5 miles.
3. You ball joints will soon follow.
4. Your tie rods will soon follow.
5. Your sway bar end links will soon follow.
6. The spacers will pop out happy as ever . Think about it. The spacers are two hunks of solid metal. It wont hurt them at all. Just everything around them.

After you destroy the front end, you can sell the spacers.

Could be wrong, just my humble opinion.

Last edited by jkeaton; 01-15-2014 at 11:07 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 08:05 AM
i.who.made.you
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha ya you're absolutely right jkeaton. My question is IF all of those front end components COULD reach and still travel and not break in .5 miles, would the leveling kits be strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle?

Old 01-16-2014, 08:07 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Yes they would.

Old 01-16-2014, 08:40 AM
lghtngblt02
The RAM Administrator
Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by i.who.made.you
Ha ya you're absolutely right jkeaton. My question is IF all of those front end components COULD reach and still travel and not break in .5 miles, would the leveling kits be strong enough to take the weight of the vehicle?
In a perfect world yes...

Old 01-18-2014, 01:12 AM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ok, I don't want to call you an idiot, because you asked us not to. But, you are definitely asking an incredibly stupid question that is making me want vomit....twice.

You need to understand how an IFS with upper and lower control arms works. Then, once you have grasped the concept, you need to slightly complicate your understanding by adding in steering components. After that, then you will hate yourself for asking this question.

Jkeaton is pretty much spot on, minus one small fact: you will not make it 5 miles before your cv axles come apart. You will make it about 1/3 of a rotation from the front tires...based on the existing location of the ***** in the joints. Depending on the circumference of your tires, that would calculate to around 2.8 feet.

What might help you is to research how IFS "lift kits" with upper and lower control arms, and struts. Study each component so that you understand it's function in creating "lift". You will see why you cannot just "add" spacers on top of spacers. It has more to do than the components being able to "handle" it, it flat out does not allow thing to move, or fit.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:09 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Originally Posted by donkeypunch
Ok, I don't want to call you an idiot, because you asked us not to. But, you are definitely asking an incredibly stupid question that is making me want vomit....twice.

You need to understand how an IFS with upper and lower control arms works. Then, once you have grasped the concept, you need to slightly complicate your understanding by adding in steering components. After that, then you will hate yourself for asking this question.

Jkeaton is pretty much spot on, minus one small fact: you will not make it 5 miles before your cv axles come apart. You will make it about 1/3 of a rotation from the front tires...based on the existing location of the ***** in the joints. Depending on the circumference of your tires, that would calculate to around 2.8 feet.

What might help you is to research how IFS "lift kits" with upper and lower control arms, and struts. Study each component so that you understand it's function in creating "lift". You will see why you cannot just "add" spacers on top of spacers. It has more to do than the components being able to "handle" it, it flat out does not allow thing to move, or fit.
hehe.....I was giving benefit of the doubt to the incredibly stout front end parts.....

Old 01-18-2014, 01:42 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

In short...yes it will work. Your suspension will never be able to pull the threads apart on a leveling kit and cause failure because the loads are not directed laterally on the leveling kit. They're directed up and down and the weight of the truck would prevent them from coming apart.....

but no. No other stock part on the truck could hang

Old 01-18-2014, 05:14 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

I'm even wondering if you could get it aligned if you could manage to pull off stacking leveling kits.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:45 PM
projektdirtfab
Record Breaker

No. With the lower accentric (sp?) Bolts only allowing the camber out so far. You would still be major negative camber. And the upper arm comes in contact with the coils at droop.

Quick Reply: Stacking Leveling Kits