3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Major Trouble, sunk my Dakota

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2014, 08:36 AM
07DakotaBaby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Major Trouble, sunk my Dakota

Me and my brother just got a 2.5 in lift block lift and new Kenda mud tired with KO rims and the second day having them this is what happens

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-1350202339.jpg (88.9 KB, 131 views)
image-257595365.jpg (55.8 KB, 129 views)
image-837981240.jpg (87.2 KB, 104 views)
Old 02-23-2014, 06:09 PM
07DakotaBaby
Default Trouble

I have a 2007 Dakota 4x4 Crew cab it's a 3.7 v6 and as you can see on my last thread I was in a bog hole and about half way through the truck completely shut off. As we pulled it out of the water we noticed oil was leaking. The truck wouldn't start after we pulled it out. Battery is fine. Oil pan isn't busted either. I think the engine was flooded but that's my opinion. Any ideas on how to fix it? Or even what's wrong with the truck?

Old 02-23-2014, 06:40 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not that much of a mechanic, but i know many concepts. i think we all need more information. I tried looking for your other thread and i can't find it. I'm sorry if i'm asking questions that you've already answered before.

What happens when you turn the key to on, does the dash light up? what happens when you try to start, does it turn over? Where was the oil leaking from? Any strange noises that were not there before.

can you also take pictures all around the engine so people can see if there are anything visual that we can see, like something disconnected, or something that doesn't look right. Or a video of the engine trying to crank so we can hear what's happening. you could have swallowed some water into the engine and blown something internal (connecting rod, crank shaft, the block etc...). You could also have gotten water in the injectors and could have blown your injectors. Again, if you answer these questions, someone else with more experience in this should be able to give you more info.

oh, and by looking at the truck in your album, if that's the truck and the bog your truck died in... then it's an 08+, not an 07 based on the fenders, grill, bumper... and it's deep enough that with water splashing around your intake could have swallowed up some water at that depth, if you were going fast enough. That's why you should always traverse water slowly unless the air intake is designed for deep water crossings. I don't know how fast you were going, i'm just stating general rules of offroading.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:00 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Yeah that ^^

Need more info, it could be any number of things. I'd start by finding out where the oil is leaking from.

Old 02-23-2014, 08:05 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin

That truck is an 08, not 07.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:10 PM
07DakotaBaby

Originally Posted by jkeaton
That truck is an 08, not 07.
it's an 07 got the papers on it

Old 02-23-2014, 10:16 PM
07DakotaBaby

Originally Posted by pierrejoly
I'm not that much of a mechanic, but i know many concepts. i think we all need more information. I tried looking for your other thread and i can't find it. I'm sorry if i'm asking questions that you've already answered before. What happens when you turn the key to on, does the dash light up? what happens when you try to start, does it turn over? Where was the oil leaking from? Any strange noises that were not there before. can you also take pictures all around the engine so people can see if there are anything visual that we can see, like something disconnected, or something that doesn't look right. Or a video of the engine trying to crank so we can hear what's happening. you could have swallowed some water into the engine and blown something internal (connecting rod, crank shaft, the block etc...). You could also have gotten water in the injectors and could have blown your injectors. Again, if you answer these questions, someone else with more experience in this should be able to give you more info. oh, and by looking at the truck in your album, if that's the truck and the bog your truck died in... then it's an 08+, not an 07 based on the fenders, grill, bumper... and it's deep enough that with water splashing around your intake could have swallowed up some water at that depth, if you were going fast enough. That's why you should always traverse water slowly unless the air intake is designed for deep water crossings. I don't know how fast you were going, i'm just stating general rules of offroading.

I'll try to get some videos uploaded tomorrow! Thanks for the help guys!

Old 02-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Reject
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The front end on it is a 08+, 05-07 Were different. Changed for 08.
Sucks that tou sunk it, doesnt look deep enough to get into the intake, unless you were really givin it gas.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:21 AM
07DakotaBaby

I had some guys come look at it today and they found that a rod has come through and busted my oil pan. One suggested a full engine re-build but I'm hoping there are other solutions. Anybody got any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2014, 07:34 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin

Rebuild or new engine. Not many other choices. Some lessons are learned the hard way.

Quick Reply: Major Trouble, sunk my Dakota