3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

New Dakota few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:39 AM
bchapin05
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EVguy
What is supposed to be the problem with a manual?
Mine is a manual with the PA body lift. I had no problems but then its not exactly a stock setup so I may not have run into whatever the problem with a manual is.
Hmm interesting I know the kit says it's for automatics. And I read in a few threads where someone said I guess I can't do a body lift due to being a manual. I'm guessing the issue is the linkage from the stick to the tranny as you lift it. It would need some kind of extension which the kit doesn't have?

I did a PA 3 inch on my 05 Ram but it was auto so I'm not sure. My jeep was a manual and had a body lift but it was on there when I bought it and only a 1 inch. When I did a spring lift on it I know I had to adjust the stick some. Any other thoughts here as I'd like to do the body?

Last edited by bchapin05; 04-29-2014 at 11:42 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 11:44 AM
bchapin05
Professional

Originally Posted by dakotaff
The headlight is easy to remove, 3 screws right in front, not sure how much room it will give you though.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
2. Remove the three screws (3) that secure the
inboard and lower mounts of the front lamp unit (1)
to the front fender headlamp bracket (4).
3. Grasp the lamp firmly and pull straight forward to
disengage the ball stud (2) on the back of the
upper outboard corner of the lamp from the plastic
grommet (7) in the fender bracket.
4. Pull the lamp away from the front fender far
enough to access and disconnect the two wire harness
connections (6) from the headlamp bulb and
the front park/turn signal/side marker bulb socket
on the back of the lamp.
5. Remove the front lamp unit from the fender.

The screws are located in the green spots, fold back the black lining on the left to access those. I forget if they're phillips head , torx, or bolts.
Thanks I thought it would be easy. Everything I was reading kept talking about removing a bunch of panels and what not to get to it. Yeah I'm not sure if I can reach the outer panel doing that but figured I'd give it a shot.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:59 AM
bchapin05
Professional

Originally Posted by EVguy
What is supposed to be the problem with a manual?
Mine is a manual with the PA body lift. I had no problems but then its not exactly a stock setup so I may not have run into whatever the problem with a manual is.

Might have answered my own questions on this. But I found this on another forum: The auto tranny one will work fine you just wont have the 3 inch bar to weld into your auto shifter to extend it. you can either cut your stick and extend it 3 inches with a piece of pipe from your local metal shop or do like 90% of the people who install body lifts on manual trannys and just be happy with your new shorter shifter.

So if that is case now I have to decide if I want to do the 2.5/1.5 rough country or do a 2 inch level and body lift and have a shop weld in a shifter extension. I'd prefer to get a bit higher so I'm inclined to do the 2inch level with the body and extension unless this shifter is going to be a major pain. The more I read the more of a pain it sounds like.

Apparently they make them for everything but Dodge:
http://www.summitracing.com/search/b...s?autoview=SKU

Last edited by bchapin05; 04-29-2014 at 01:04 PM.

Quick Reply: New Dakota few questions