3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Paint code

Old 09-03-2015, 07:10 PM
baross1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint code

I have a 06 Dakota club cab. The back door on the drivers side is rusted from the inside out. After many unreal estimates on repairing and painting the door, I was told by a body shop to replace the door. It would be cheaper!
I am going to look at a door at a local salvage yard tomorrow. It is supposed to be a grade A. The paint code is PW7.. It has the same paint code, but it is from an '05.
Is there any difference in paint colors from year to year?
Also this guy told me to pull the body plugs from the bottom of the door and pour motor oil in and let it drip out. This will stop the door from rusting again. Has anyone ever heard of this?

Old 09-03-2015, 08:34 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

the paint is the same colour. the paint code doesn't change the actual color year to year. it might be faded differently so the door might not match 100% to the rest of the truck.

and yes, the motor oil trick works. You can even use your used oil after you do an oil change. A mechanic friend of mine uses the used oil from his shop to to his vehicle doors and under carriage a few times a year. even inside the tailgate.

Old 09-03-2015, 09:39 PM
baross1
Rookie

Will a door from an '07 fit?

Old 09-04-2015, 10:09 AM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Sure, the 07 door is the same.

Old 09-04-2015, 04:24 PM
baross1
Rookie

Update: I bought a really nice door today at the salvage yard with the same code. It was the shell only, which is no problem. The problem is how do I remove the old window to put in the new door. It's the stationary window that doesn't go up & down. I seen someone online use a cold knife..... Any ideas?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Paint code