3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Seat belt buckle locked

Old 09-08-2015, 02:20 PM
jprovi218
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Seat belt buckle locked

Well, my Driver side seat belt buckle is locked on my 2007 Dakota. It's @ the dealership and they said they cannot get it apart. I ordered the $40.00 buckle & the job is going to cost $250.00 'cause they have to remove the seat. Now they want $450.00 and for me to buy the complete seat belt assembly. Any solutions on getting this unstuck? Is it all manual or are there electronic sensors/fuses involved? I thought for sure the dealership could at least destroy the old buckle to remove the male clip. I checked down inside the buckle for food or any other obstructions before taking it to the dealer & did not see anything jammed in the buckle. Need some advice if anyone has dealt with this before....No front or rear impacts or previous issues with the belt sticking before this one time problem. I had to literally climb out of the seat belt strap....WTH?

Old 09-09-2015, 06:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Any vasoline come with that?

Complete seat belt assembly for your Dak at JC Whitney from $55-100 depending on if you need hardware and sensor. Probably cheaper on fleabay. An hour job with standard sockets and screwdrivers. Do it yourself, it's a one wrencher at most. I'm sure there are YouTube vids and it's covered in a shop manual. But you really shouldn't need it. It's a matter of removing plastic covers, hardware and reversing the procedure...

The following users liked this post:
VanDeeKan (07-06-2023)
Old 09-09-2015, 10:20 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Seriously. Do it yourself. The wires for the seatbelt can get cut very easily by the tracks. Look under the seat and see if it's cut. Mine was.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:40 AM
jprovi218
Default Will do!

Thanks....I work offshore so I have a week before I get back on land. I'll order the other half of the belt if I cant get it apart. I wasn't sure if there was an electronic factor in the system for the buckle or just for the belt retractor mechanism. I'll at least have the dealership look under the seat for clipped wires before I cancel the job.

JP

Old 01-21-2023, 08:00 PM
Rustyvan
Amateur

When you say "locked", do you mean will not release? Prior to this condition was it getting hard to release the belt from the latch.

My 03 is getting where the release button just doesnt pop the belt out. I have to fumble around with it to get it to release.

Old 01-21-2023, 08:22 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

ad this happen to our Saab last year. Gave the male buckle a good whack with a hammer and it released. Been working fine since.

Last edited by Jaded; 01-22-2023 at 09:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2023, 08:50 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustyvan
When you say "locked", do you mean will not release? Prior to this condition was it getting hard to release the belt from the latch.

My 03 is getting where the release button just doesnt pop the belt out. I have to fumble around with it to get it to release.
8 year old post. Lol

The following users liked this post:
Jaded (01-22-2023)
Old 01-22-2023, 12:40 PM
Rustyvan
Amateur

Well, sorry I asked.

Old 01-22-2023, 12:53 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 573 Likes on 520 Posts

Originally Posted by Rustyvan
Well, sorry I asked.

Don't worry about it. It happens. I don't always look at when the post was put on here myself. I've got a trouble shooting manual from 1932 that I refer to from time to time. Okay, maybe I'm not working on a car with the electric hand shifter, having to decarbon heads, or even file points, but the basics on an engine are the same on any engine with an electric ignition system. Whether it's a 1909 Ford Model T, a 1964 Mustang or a brand spankin' new pickup. If it's an ICE, it's suck, squeeze, bang, blow to move the vehicle down the road. Old information is still information.

Maybe someone has a Saab and does a web search for that problem. Since I don't think there are any Saab dealers anymore, your post might be invaluable when it pops up in a web search.

Old 01-22-2023, 04:18 PM
Jaded
Record Breaker
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I only mention the Saab since most seat belt buckles are same design. This Saab was made by GM using the same parts suppliers as many other makes. If you look online you'll just see recommendations to use a thin piece of metal to slide in and release the buckle. I tried that for half an hour before resorting to force.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Seat belt buckle locked