3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Front & Rear Differential Gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:46 PM
JohnH1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front & Rear Differential Gaskets

I have heard a lot of guys use the black Permatex gasket maker with success to seal the differentials after fluid changes. Why don't folks use gaskets like in the older days. Is it just new technology or does the gasket maker in a tube work better?

Old 07-14-2016, 08:18 PM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

myself, i would use the gaskets instead of using a gasket maker. with a gasket maker, you have to make sure that you have enough to make a good seal but not too much as to have some squirt around inside the diff housing and potentially float around in the fluid and gum up the diff.

using a quality gasket, like the fel pro gaskets available for the dakotas would be my preference.

Old 07-14-2016, 08:27 PM
InternetCash

Don't fear the tube gasket maker. It's done great on my truck.

The factory service manual on my 2006 says:

Apply a bead of orange Mopar Axle RTV Sealant (1) or equivalent to the housing cover (2).

Old 07-15-2016, 09:02 AM
northgator8
All Star
Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnH1
I have heard a lot of guys use the black Permatex gasket maker with success to seal the differentials after fluid changes. Why don't folks use gaskets like in the older days. Is it just new technology or does the gasket maker in a tube work better?
I think that the reason that the RTV is recommended, over the old-style gaskets, is that the diff covers (like everything else) ain't what they used to be.

They don't stay as flat on the gasket surfaces as they used to, so a material that fills voids and bonds to both surfaces is a better option.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:35 PM
JohnH1
Default Thanks

Guys: Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. I replaced the fluid in the front and rear differentials today. I took the compromise approach and used permatex ultra black rtv as a gasket dressing for fel-pro gaskets. It worked great. Pretty sore from grinding between the ground and the frame, though! Thanks again!

Old 07-16-2016, 08:36 PM
JohnH1

northgator8: Very sharp hood scoop!

Old 07-18-2016, 07:41 AM
northgator8
All Star

northgator8: Very sharp hood scoop!
Thanks but . .

Sadly, that isn't the truck I'm driving now. That one is in a wrecking yard in northern New York State, and the hood scoop wasn't in any shape to salvage.

I have to put a new signature picture in of my 2008 . . . .

Old 07-18-2016, 11:16 AM
JohnH1

Do you happen to know where are such hood scoops available? I believe it was a factory item for the Dakota RT version. I went on the Mopar site but didn't see the scoop offered there. Nothing in the usual aftermarket web sites, either.

Old 07-18-2016, 12:53 PM
northgator8
All Star

Do you happen to know where are such hood scoops available? I believe it was a factory item for the Dakota RT version. I went on the Mopar site but didn't see the scoop offered there. Nothing in the usual aftermarket web sites, either.
Sorry, can't help. It was on the truck when I bought it used. May have been part of these packages, which were on my build sheet, but I don't know.

Sport Group
Customer Preferred Package 26D

Quick Reply: Front & Rear Differential Gaskets