DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Dakota (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota-68/)
-   -   Want to upgrade the head unit. (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota/396956-want-to-upgrade-the-head-unit.html)

RthrDent 08-21-2016 04:33 PM

Want to upgrade the head unit.

Hi everyone,
I've searched around a bit and can't find the answer to this. My '05 has a non-changer head unit with a dealer installed Uconnect and of course no aux input. Ideally I'd like to upgrade to a later model unit with integrated Uconnect and aux input. Does anyone know what years would work with no or minimal rewiring? Also, I think I remember the integrated Uconnect having the controls in the mirror? I'm not opposed to changing out the mirror also. I'd rather avoid an aftermarket unit, I just HATE how they look. I like everything looking factory. Alternatively I could keep the crappy dealer Uconnect and just hard wire an aux input into the CD outputs in the unit and then used a blank CD. I've done this on a few aftermarket units where the CD outputs are marked on the circuit board so it's simple. Are the outputs labelled on the factory unit boards? Any help is appreciated!

Allen

TNtech 08-21-2016 05:07 PM

11 years down the road here, your options for factory might be limited, as well as the reliability of any used equipment you might come across. You will also get less bang for the buck with factory. If you change your music media to thumb drive, it opens up more options. CDs are sort of antiquated nowadays.

That year I know Aspens and some highline Durangos may have what you're looking for.

i.who.made.you 08-23-2016 10:29 AM

You will spend hundreds just to get a newer factory. Just get an aftermarket. If the wiring is scares you (CAN BUS is a b****) they sell an aftermarket adapter that makes things much easier for you or who ever does the install.

jkeaton 08-23-2016 10:58 AM

I swapped out a radio from an 06 with aux input in my 05. Got it off ebay for like $40. Plug and play with the infinity system with satellite. Only thing I lost was going from the original 6 disk changer to a single disk player. Which I didn't care cause I used the aux input. Aftermarket looks terrible with the factory cutouts in the bezel for the volume controls.

Jaded 08-24-2016 03:56 PM

I need to do something also. I pulled into the local audio shop yesterday. Got a quote of $675 for a JVC touchscreen with back up camera installed. I think if I do this myself I can pull it off for $400.

dodgeman1977 09-19-2016 02:01 PM

If you guys are still looking for radio options, here is what I am going to do. Power acoustik PD 454B head unit with metra install kit. I will also get the interface harness to make the can bus connection trouble free. If you need steering wheel controls, crutchfield has that harness also, but I donīt have the wheel controls.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...84cccfef98.jpg

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dodgefo...2bdc9b305d.jpg

Jaded 09-20-2016 01:20 PM

^ thats a good way to go to avoid the 2din. I'm looking into what I'll need to do the 2din swap, I've already got the head unit. Whats got me confused is the infinity system. Crutchfield recommends a wiring kit that bypasses all wiring it looks like. Then I see they also have this pac rp4-ch11 can bus interface. Which way is the best?

dodgeman1977 09-20-2016 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by Jaded (Post 3311384)
^ thats a good way to go to avoid the 2din. I'm looking into what I'll need to do the 2din swap, I've already got the head unit. Whats got me confused is the infinity system. Crutchfield recommends a wiring kit that bypasses all wiring it looks like. Then I see they also have this pac rp4-ch11 can bus interface. Which way is the best?

I don't have the infinity system, but I know the can bus interface plugs directly into the connector on the vehicle side and then you make your wiring connections such as speakers and ground and memory/hot wires. The interface harness takes the guesswork out of this set up. I don't know 100%, but from what I have read if you don't use the interface you will need to tap off the cigarette lighter plug or run a separate wire for switched power, could be wrong, but to avoid any confusion the 40 dollar harness is worth it to me. I am getting the radio, harness, dash kit, antenna adapter, and back up camera for less than 200 dollars. I will see if I can find anything out about the infinity harness when I get off work today. The interface harness I am getting is XSVI-6502-NAV, from Metra.

dodgeman1977 09-20-2016 10:04 PM

O.k. Jaded, this is what I have found so far. Keep in mind I have just scratched the surface on this subject.
With the infinity system, if you go with an aftermarket head unit you must bypass the infinity amp, Which is what those cables on crutchfield do.
Now, the rp4-ch11 harness says it retains steering wheel controls and factory amp.
Crutchfield has a 1-800 number and in my past experience have been very helpful. I wish I could help more, but your best bet may be give them a call. I don't want to give you false information as I don't have the infinity system to deal with.

Edit: a little more reading leads me to believe the Pac ch11 harness may be what you need. But, like I said earleir, I don't want to give you false information. If you give Crutchfield a call, let us know what they say.

Jaded 09-20-2016 11:46 PM

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking of going with that can bus adapter. Retaining the amp shouldn't cause any issues, and not having to run wiring to the speakers and power would save a lot of time.