3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Wierd upshifting problem

Old 02-12-2017, 03:13 AM
CanadaDak
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd upshifting problem

Hey guys. Looking for some advice, I seem to be having a Tranny issue. 2007 4.7 4x4 99700 km, while driving, especially when I'm going up hills the truck wants to upshift which cause causes it to losee all tourqe aND subsequently keeps bouncing between gears. Even on flat road I get to speed it wants to shift into a higher gear. I'm thinking about starting with replacing the throttle position sensor and doing a Tranny flush right away. Has anyone had any similar issues or have ideas

Old 02-13-2017, 08:39 AM
Soco3087
Rookie

I have a similar issue on my 08 4.7L Dakota. When I go up a hill or even on flat road it seems like it has shifting problem and doesn't have the power or torque it should have. Unfortunately I have not gotten anywhere with that problem. I have been to three dealers and two tranny shops and they feel what I am feeling but they can't figure out what's going on with my truck. I did all the same things your talking about, I replaced throttle position sensors, throttle body, pedel sensors, you name it I replaced it. So unfortunately I have been driving with that problem for over two years hoping one day it will either throw a code, or break. I'm almost at the point of just replacing the whole truck, hey new Ram Rebel look nice! If you get your truck fix post back and let me know I'm curious to see what's the problem and what else I can try before I give up on mine.

Old 02-13-2017, 09:34 AM
superdak05
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

normal. If you have the tow/haul switch, push it, it will solve your uphill issues.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:46 PM
CanadaDak
Rookie

I was told that there may be a solenoid ca using this issue? Anyone know what solenoid or where that could potentially ca use this

Old 02-17-2017, 05:47 PM
Gerald Cuffe

Had that in mine. Change your throttle position sensor. It costs about 20 and usually has a lifetime warranty. It's located right on the side of your throttle body. Two bolts and your good.

Old 02-19-2017, 08:05 AM
Soco3087
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gerald Cuffe
Had that in mine. Change your throttle position sensor. It costs about 20 and usually has a lifetime warranty. It's located right on the side of your throttle body. Two bolts and your good.
That is a good thing to try but it also depends on the year of your truck. I know that in a 2008 the TPS is built into the throttle body and there is now way to just replace that part unless you replace the whole throttle body. I had that problem and replaced that whole throttle body and it didn't make any difference at all problem still exits. Not a cheap part at all,so make 100% sure that you know your TPS is your problem before you replace it. If it's a one piece unit.

Old 02-19-2017, 05:22 PM
Gerald Cuffe

He said it was on his 07 I have an 07 with the same motor. That's what my issue was. For your 08 did you try replacing the speed sensor on your rear pumpkin?

Old 02-20-2017, 06:30 PM
Soco3087
Rookie

Originally Posted by Gerald Cuffe
He said it was on his 07 I have an 07 with the same motor. That's what my issue was. For your 08 did you try replacing the speed sensor on your rear pumpkin?
Ok, I didn't know what year they make the change from a replaceable TPS to a non replace unit, so figured I throw that out there. As for my 08 no I did not try replacing the speed sensor, I'll have to look into doing that. I was more leaning towards it being a shift solenoid pack problem but I'm not throwing any transmission codes so yea I'll give that speed sensor a try and see if it helps.

Old 03-07-2017, 02:10 PM
Soco3087
Rookie

Originally Posted by CanadaDak
I was told that there may be a solenoid ca using this issue? Anyone know what solenoid or where that could potentially ca use this
Hey it's been a while since you posted and was just wondering if you have had any luck figuring out what was wrong with your truck. I'm curious as any answeres to yours might help me out with mine.

Search this Thread