3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Monroe quick struts + 2" leveling kit too much

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2017, 11:38 AM
dforbis
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monroe quick struts + 2" leveling kit too much

Maybe it's common knowledge and I just missed it but thought I would throw it out there to help out others. I did not think the Monroe quick struts would add any height to the front end but they did. I would say they were the equivalent of a 2" leveling kit as the truck sits perfectly level with them installed. I had ordered a 2" leveling kit in addition but when I installed it the front end was way high and the upper control arms contacted the strut spring when cornering. I've been driving around now for about 2 weeks with just the struts installed with 265/75-16 tires and it hasn't settled at all far as I can tell. I had a slight rub on the back of the wheel well. I'm not sure what the offset on the wheels are as they were a craigslist find off a CJ7. I didn't want to cut the fenders so I did a tieback that works great. They still have a slight rub when I am braking hard and turning hard (think nearly missed a turn) but nothing that causes me any concern.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:03 PM
donkeypunch
King Jackass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics required. Please post part numbers you aquired.

Old 03-13-2017, 12:09 PM
rodslinger
Veteran
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Same here.

I used the Monroe quick struts also and the front does seem higher than stock. It isn't quite level with the rear but close. They ride well but not a fan of how it looks.

When I'm towing there is a rearward rake to the truck where it was usually level before.
​​​​

Old 03-15-2017, 11:48 PM
dforbis

Donkeypunch they were the Monroe quick struts 171100
Amazon Amazon

The leveling kit I'm not sure the part number but it was a 2" leveling kit that was about 1 1/4" spacer for the top of the strut.

I'll have to get a picture or 2

Old 03-17-2017, 07:51 AM
ABQLaramie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's absolutely right. I decided that before buying new tires I might as well replace the front struts and tie rod ends and whatnot since it was about time to do so . Tried the same part number of quick strut as listed above with the 2" leveling kit from Supreme Suspensions, and the angles on everything in the front end were hilariously bad....... including the angle on the strut itself relative to the lower bushing. I would certainly not advise anyone with a 4x4 Dakota to do both at once.

Old 03-24-2017, 02:06 AM
Drew Hannon

Would anyone who has the front Monroe quick struts installed be able to provide a measurement of the amount of lift it makes? Or just a measurement from the center of the wheel to the top of the wheel well. I can then compare with my stock Dakota to find how much lift it made.

Thanks, it would be much appreciated.

Old 03-28-2017, 05:00 PM
nanohead
Professional

To my eye, its a small amount, an inch or so. Not sure if I'd use them again. They clunk here and there. They ride nicely and the truck handles well, but the clunk over road imperfections is kind of annoying. Apparently, some of the quick struts can be fixed by turning the damper center shaft till you hear a click. Didn't work for me