3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2008 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L Throttle Position Sensor Location

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 09:08 PM
joeblow33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L Throttle Position Sensor Location

I have uploaded a picture. Is that the location of the TPS on a 2008 Dodge Dakota 4x4 4.7L ?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
tps.jpg (341.2 KB, 68 views)
Old 06-26-2017, 10:00 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Your throttle body looks different than my 2005, or its just the picture, not sure, anyway, the TPS gets its signal from the butterfly, hence throttle position. So, by looking at your pic, I would say the one below your arrow. I think your arrow is pointing to the IAC.

Old 06-28-2017, 01:50 AM
erau
Veteran
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

That's the "fly-by-wire" electronically-activated throttle body used on 2008+ models. The round horizontal cylinder-shaped piece on the top of it is the drive motor which opens/closes the butterfly, instead of a throttle cable (with a linked Throttle Position Sensor) like on earlier models.

Yours would have an Accelerator Position Sensor under the dash, which tells the electronic throttle body what position to open the butterfly...The actual sensing of the butterfly's position would all be contained within the electronic drive assembly, not in a separate sensor like the earlier models.

(There's also no IAC or separate cruise-control cable-linked vacuum module on the newer models...The electronic butterfly drive motor handles all of the above.)

Last edited by erau; 06-28-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:41 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Originally Posted by erau
That's the "fly-by-wire" electronically-activated throttle body used on 2008+ models. The round horizontal cylinder-shaped piece on the top of it is the drive motor which opens/closes the butterfly, instead of a throttle cable (with a linked Throttle Position Sensor) like on earlier models.

Yours would have an Accelerator Position Sensor under the dash, which tells the electronic throttle body what position to open the butterfly...The actual sensing of the butterfly's position would all be contained within the electronic drive assembly, not in a separate sensor like the earlier models.

(There's also no IAC or separate cruise-control cable-linked vacuum module on the newer models...The electronic butterfly drive motor handles all of the above.)
This is great information. That would explainn why it looked different from my 05. Thanks for this post.
Now for the OP, is there a particular reason you are trying to access the TPS? Troubles or issues you may need help with?

Old 06-29-2017, 11:19 PM
joeblow33

Thanks for the replies. I am experiencing some surging in idle from 600 to 650 rpm when the engine is warmed up. I was reading on the forums that the usual culprit is the throttle position sensor.

I haven't thrown any codes, but I have tried running seafoam to clean the throttle body, and checked for vaccum leaks that best I could. Will probably change spark plugs this weekend.