3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Doors Unlock but not lock

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 03:45 PM
BraveKid
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Doors Unlock but not lock

Aloha,

I am having issues with ALL my doors' power locks in my 2011 Ram Dakota BigHorn 3.7L.

All four doors UNLOCK fine from with the power switch. However, they do not LOCK. I hear a click and the door lock pin moves just enough so that I can see it dropping about 1/8", but it doesn't lock. This is happening to all four door at the same time.

The power lock was working completely fine until I removed the panel of my back seat passenger door. I removed the door panel because I want to keep the panel out so I can have more room to load/unload equipment in the back of the cabin. The power lock "LOCK" function stopped working immediately after I removed the panel and tried to lock the truck.

Also, I recently added grease to the door lock and was wondering if it clogged something.... but as I said, the door lock stopped working immediately after I removed the panel, so I assume it was something related to the action of removing the panel.

Could someone please help me to get the power lock function working again?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2017, 07:37 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

Seems you have it narrowed down as to when and what action caused the issue. Try putting the panel back on and see it works properly. If it works correctly with the panel on, there must be something the panel helps to hold in place or line up. If it does not work with putting the panel back on, check all the linkage on that door to make sure nothing is binding.

Old 09-12-2017, 05:09 AM
BraveKid

Thanks dodgeman,
I did put the panel back but it didn't work.

I also noticed that the interior door handle is not unlocking the door as it is supposed to.

Seems like I messed up with the lock itself when I was removing the panel.

What would you suggest in this case? Remove the door lock and try to readjust it?

Why does it affect the other doors?

Last edited by BraveKid; 09-12-2017 at 05:14 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 09-12-2017, 08:50 AM
pierrejoly
Veteran
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

since the locks all work at the same time, they are most likely wired in parallel. There could be something interfering with the signal, like a wire that is grounding out on one of the locking assemblies which is causing the others to not get enough voltage on the lock side of things.

Someone who knows the wiring better will be able to tell you which wire controls the locking signal so you can check the harness for any issues. Since they unlock correctly, the wire controlling that is fine.

Old 09-12-2017, 09:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Rear doors will NOT unlock the doors when you pull the door handle. That's a safety feature.

Old 09-12-2017, 08:19 PM
BraveKid

Thank you. I got a 2004 wiring diagram and service manual and will see if I can figure it out...

It says the right rear motor is charged by Light Green/Dark Blue wire.

Please let me know if you have the wiring information or service manual for 2011 Ram Dakota.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:48 AM
BraveKid

Solved!

It was a short between the front passenger "kick pad" and the rear passenger door. I bypassed that with a irrigation wire and it works fine.

​​Thanks for all your help!

Old 09-13-2017, 08:50 AM
BraveKid

It was a short circuit between the lock and the front passenger kick pad.
Tested with multimeter. Wiring diagram helped too.
Bypassed the short with irrigation wire, works fine now!
Thanks for all your help!