3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Door locks, Radio, Overhead display stopper working

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2018, 09:51 AM
Mark W Evans
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locks, Radio, Overhead display stopper working

I parked my 2008 Dakota last night and locked the doors with my key fob. When I went to start my truck in the morning the locks wouldn't work.
I unlocked the door manually and started the truck which set off the alarm. Finally got the alarm shut off. Truck runs fine and drives fine. But the radio wont work as well as the overhead display for the trip odometer and thermometer.
What could be wrong?

Old 01-12-2018, 10:53 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 334 Likes on 298 Posts

Check the obvious things. Look for blown fuses, replace the FOB battery, tighten battery connections, check battery condition.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:22 PM
dodgeman1977
Professional

There is a fuse under the hood, I can't Remeber which one it is right now, but it does control the radio and door locks I know for sure. Not sure about the display. I pulled it when swapping my radio and recall the door locks not working while in the process.

Old 01-12-2018, 08:41 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Check #6.

Old 01-13-2018, 08:25 AM
Mark W Evans

Thanks for the responses. I have checked #6 an d it was good. I did see in the manual that there is another that might be the problem.
Unfortunately I don't have a garage. And the weather has been rainy. But I hope to get under the hood tomorrow.
One thing I didn't notice at first was that the door locks work with the door controls. But will not operate using the key fob.
The lights will flash but the locks don't move.

Old 01-13-2018, 11:02 AM
dakotaff
Champion

I would disconnect the battery, leave it disconnected for a while. A reset works wonders sometimes with electrical issues with these computerized vehicles. Check all fuses in the meantime.

I had an issue with my door locks not working way back, and a new instrument cluster fixed the issue. There are a bunch of functions that the instrument cluster handles, other than the obvious display that we see.

Old 01-19-2018, 08:46 AM
aswartz702

Originally Posted by dakotaff
I would disconnect the battery, leave it disconnected for a while. A reset works wonders sometimes with electrical issues with these computerized vehicles. Check all fuses in the meantime.

I had an issue with my door locks not working way back, and a new instrument cluster fixed the issue. There are a bunch of functions that the instrument cluster handles, other than the obvious display that we see.
Dodge told me the same thing, wanted $750 for it. It wasn't the issue. Then they said to replace the WCM, wouldn't work. Turned out I had a short in the CAN BUS. New wiring fixed the issue.

Old 01-20-2018, 01:34 PM
dakotaff
Champion

Glad that you got it resolved, and thanks for posting the solution, which may help someone down the road.

Quick Reply: Door locks, Radio, Overhead display stopper working