3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

2007 Laramie 4x4 4.7v8HO - No crank

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 02:20 PM
gaholfer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2007 Laramie 4x4 4.7v8HO - No crank

Hi all. I've got an '07 Dakota Laramie 4.7L v8 HO 4x4 w/automatic transmission and it's sitting at just under 137K miles. No major repairs to date other than a couple window motors a few years ago and I changed the TPS module a few years ago as well. One issue the truck has had since it was new, bought it new back in '07, was a weird issue in the steering column with the steering wheel mounted radio controls...and the weird issues are still present and intermittent, but the volume buttons perform opposite of what they're supposed too, volume up sometimes turns it down and vice versa. The turn signal tree as well as the wiper functions have intermittent "wonkiness" as well...wiper blade speed would change randomly and always seem one speed off. But that's not the reason for this write up, I only include for situational awareness of the issue that started this past Sat.

Saturday I started the truck up like normal with no issue. I let it warm up and while doing so I replaced a 20amp fuse that had blown a while back for the "cigarette lighter"...I needed to use it to keep the phone charged for the roadtrip to Atl for the day. Drove it about 30min away to the theater, watched the movie, and since it was cold out, I double tapped the remote start button on the way to the truck. I only heard the horn beep once. Got to the truck and it wasn't on, so I opened it up, and turned the key and nothing. No crank, just the sound of the relay in the PDC. I figured the battery had died...the starts hadn't seemed as forceful/energetic lately, so somebody gave me a jump, but hooked up to another vehicle was the same result...no crank. So I had it towed back to the house and Sunday morning, removed the now completely dead battery, had it tested, failed, bought a new one and installed. No crank. (btw, I checked the relays, swapped with non-critical systems, like rear defogger, horn, etc with no crank result)
From there I assumed ( I know, dumb) that it must be the starter, which I had given the best whacks I could manage. I pulled it and replaced it and still no crank. At this point, I'm at a bit of a loss, other than I've bought a neutral position switch, just in case it's that...it won't crank in park or neutral or otherwise. When trying to remote start, it just honks the one time and then there's a red light which flashes on the dash...there are no engine codes.

I realize I need to verify the power from battery to starter, and from the ignition to starter...tonight I'm going to start there. I'm going to check the voltage on the yellow wire at the starter/solenoid while turning and holding the key to the start position and work my back from there to the relay and the neutral switch?? I'm thinking at this point it might be the switch...I'm just looking for as much advice as possible at this point.

Help!!

DJ

Old 12-11-2017, 02:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,171 Likes on 2,924 Posts

If you hear the relay click when you try to start, I would try swapping the relay with another one, and see if anything changes.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:09 PM
gaholfer

Yep tried that, also bought a new one...same result....

UPDATE: I've tested and there's power to all the fuses/relays on the PDC...but no power to the yellow wire running to the solenoid...having trouble locating the park/neutral safety switch so I can change that and rule it out.... grrr.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Do you have a wiring diagram for the starting circuit?

Old 12-11-2017, 06:06 PM
gaholfer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Do you have a wiring diagram for the starting circuit?
Unfortunately, no.

Old 12-11-2017, 06:18 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Is your security lite blinking by chance?

Old 12-12-2017, 10:12 AM
gaholfer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is your security lite blinking by chance?
Yes, it blinks after I attempt a remote start. Horn honks one time and as long as the doors are closed, the doors lock and there is a blinking red light on the top of the instrument panel.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Well, apparently, your ignition 'switch', just modifies a signal voltage coming from the security module, and the security module suggests to the PCM that it should start the engine. Etc. I think you need to plug in with a GOOD scanner, and see what the various systems think is going on.... If you have another key, try it, and see what happens.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:18 PM
gaholfer

Yeah...another roadblock....I was kind of assuming that it had to be the neutral position switch since I had changed everything else out...but something else is keeping it from starting, because I removed the starter relay solenoid, and with the key in the on position, "hotwired" the starter with a short piece of wire. Motor turned over as expected, but would not fire. I did not expect that...thought I'd get it running and drive it on in to the pro's...but obviously there is something else inhibiting ignition and pre-empting power to the starter. So I guess I'll have it towed unless anyone has a homerun suggestion and they've just been holding out.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:10 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

I think your security system doesn't like your key, and therefore, the engine is disabled. If you have a different key, try that. If not, gonna have to have it towed.

Quick Reply: 2007 Laramie 4x4 4.7v8HO - No crank