3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

Ball Joint? 2006 Dakota 3.7

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Mark O'Shields
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball Joint? 2006 Dakota 3.7

Hi my wife drove the truck today and cut the wheels as far as they would go to back out of driveway. She said it made a pop sound in the driverside front area, and if she drives even slow over a bump in the road there is a loud rattle now. Is this a ball joint? If so, other than the ball joint what other parts do I need to buy? Im extremely poor and cripple so I have to take my cars to a backyard mechanic type guy and bring the parts with me. Is there anyone who has had the experience before and know what it is and what parts Ill need?

Old 03-08-2018, 09:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Ball joint or cv axle if you are 4x4

Old 03-08-2018, 10:35 PM
Mark O'Shields
Amateur
Default Should have posted that

Its a 2006 dakota sl as standard as they come no 4x4 3.7 auto trans....Other than a ball joint Im looking for any other parts that I might need to provide to the mechanic. Its a backyard type not like take it into the shop and they run out and get what ever parts they need I cant afford that so I need to bring whatever is needed along with the truck

Old 03-09-2018, 10:02 PM
bohnjerry
Amateur

My guess would be a lower ball joint. Since the problem seems to have arisen after a steep turn, perhaps something went awry with a tie rod end.. Usually you don't hear those.
I've also thought I had a ball joint going and come to find out it was a snapped sway bar link. I'm not sure what the setup is on a 4X2 though. The snapped end hits and rattles on the top of the lower control arm.
If you are so inclined.. jack up a front wheel and try to wiggle it side to side, top to bottom (like rock it toward and away from the engine), and bounce vertically (for what you can by hand). Any play in those dimensions might give away what the issue is.

Old 03-10-2018, 04:01 AM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You really need to jack up the front of the truck and shake down the front end to see what's going on and order the appropriate parts,otherwise it's just guessing.Most steering parts on a Dakota are fairly easy to service by a competent mechanic.You can get economy line tie rod ends,lower ball joints,upper control arms and sway bar links and bushings if you can't afford the Moog Problem Solver line with grease fittings.

Old 03-13-2018, 01:34 PM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

There can easily be alot of speculating off of the one sound described. Recommendation; if you cannot crawl under and look at things and take pictures of things then you are reliant on having a decent relationship with the backyard mechanic you mentioned. The first thing you need to do is to have that guy/gal look at it. Have them tell you what you are going to need for parts. Go from there. At best the folks here will be able to help validate what the mechanic says to you against the symptoms you describe. The Dakota is quite easy to diagnose and to work on. Your backyard mechanic should have no problems helping you get this sorted out.

........ at risk without knowing or seeing anything more than what you have described. Main possibilities in order of probability are: sway bar link (25$), bearing hub (150$), lower ball joint (75$), steering rack or tie rods (180$).

Please have your mechanic take a look. Then come back here and let us know more.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 03-13-2018 at 01:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Ball Joint? 2006 Dakota 3.7