3rd Gen Dakota 2005 - 2011 Dodge Dakota Tech - The ultimate forum for technical help on the 3rd Gen Dakota.

gauge cluster swap or home build new cluster?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 11:32 AM
David Kalinowski
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gauge cluster swap or home build new cluster?

I have lurked for a while, posts a little. I have searched on this, not much info. I dont like the indiglo gauges, and blackcatcustom dose not show the 05+ dakota stuff on their site (and I dont think it would be bright enough for me any ways) I want red, like what pontiac had.
any way, will a cluster from any other dodge stuff fit? I found an ebay listing showing a durango cluster claim it would fit a dakota and it did not have indiglo that I could see, but honestly didnt look like it would fit ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPEEDOMETER...5YpL4Z&vxp=mtr )

SO other than a cluster swap, I was thinking I could get a correct fit cluster, gut it, and build a custom cluster using like autometer gauges or something. I've never done any thing like that, but i I am good at technical/electronics/computers.

comments or ideas?

Old 03-18-2018, 01:17 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

That cluster will not fit your truck, it's simply wrong information and it did not come out of an 05 Durango. The 05 Durango has the exact same cluster that we have, and are interchangeable. The 05 Durango has that green glowing cluster too. Other than Black Cat, I don't know of any other swaps that were completed. The Black Cat gauge is pretty dim at night for sure.

Old 03-18-2018, 02:52 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

Thats what I was getting from the review thread I was reading. looks like I'm going to spend the summer trying to custom build a cluster. simply because I dont like green indiglo gauges.. ever since I had a pontiac, its red numbers or nothing. (figurativly speaking, I cant drive drive at night and not see my gauges lol)

Old 03-18-2018, 03:04 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

Thats what I was getting from the review thread I was reading. looks like I'm going to spend the summer trying to custom build a cluster. simply because I dont like green indiglo gauges.. ever since I had a pontiac, its red numbers or nothing. (figurativly speaking, I cant drive drive at night and not see my gauges lol)

edit:: Wikipedia says that the 06 R/T had an exclusive gauge cluster, when i google it, it looks more or less the same. am I missing something?

Old 03-18-2018, 03:29 PM
daktwos
Professional
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

If you try contacting Dakota Digital they may be able to help you out with your project.

Old 03-18-2018, 04:18 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

I'll look into that, cause good lord autometer guages are expesnive.. its been a long time since I looked at gugages.. starting to look like it will be cheaper to make a custom LCD dash and run a Rasberry Pi with android and Torqe Pro using an ODBII scan tool..

Old 03-18-2018, 07:31 PM
dakotaff
Champion
Received 81 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by David Kalinowski
edit:: Wikipedia says that the 06 R/T had an exclusive gauge cluster, when i google it, it looks more or less the same. am I missing something?
The R/T cluster is the same with two exceptions:

1. There's an 'R/T' logo between the fuel gauge and temperature gauge on the left.
2. There's a 'V8 High Output' in the RPM gauge on the right.

VB4ViUH.jpg

Old 03-18-2018, 10:43 PM
David Kalinowski
Rookie

wow.. i got exited for nothing lol.

Quick Reply: gauge cluster swap or home build new cluster?