DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   3rd Gen Dakota (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota-68/)
-   -   Dakota control arms and other suspension (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen-dakota/416658-dakota-control-arms-and-other-suspension.html)

mwb88 07-29-2018 12:13 AM

Dakota control arms and other suspension

I had my truck inspected at farm and fleet. I need upper and lower control arms and wheel bearings. As well as struts and shocks.
when I look online in find kits with upper control arm but only the lower ball joints. Why don't they come with lower control arms? Also if the kit comes with sway bars and tie rods and such, should I replace all that stuff too.?

jkeaton 07-29-2018 06:55 AM

Please add your vehicle details so we know what we are working with.

mwb88 07-29-2018 12:23 PM

It is a 2005 Dodge Dakota it has the six cylinder. It is 2 wheel drive. And it doesn't have anything special no power windows or anyting

rodslinger 07-29-2018 04:49 PM

Wow.

Sounds like you might need something but they don't know what it is so they want to replace everything.

Maybe get a second opinion.

mwb88 07-29-2018 09:07 PM

Is it common to just replace the lower ball joints and not the lower control arms?

Smokeykurt 07-29-2018 10:41 PM

Originally Posted by mwb88 (Post 3403352)
Is it common to just replace the lower ball joints and not the lower control arms?

My suspension was in bad shape and I recently replaced like 90% of my suspension and I didn't replace the lower control arms. I did the strutmate bushings and the lower ball joints in them. If you're replacing everything mentioned in your first post, I'd go ahead and do the outer tie rod ends if they're in so-so shape as they're super cheap and come with most online suspension kits. Make sure you get an alignment after. You also might wanna make sure you have the bolts for the strut/strutmate and also the bolts for the upper control arm. I had to cut some of mine out as they were seized.

I'm in agreement with rodslinger though. I'd consider a second opinion unless it looks really rough under there.

daktwos 07-30-2018 11:33 AM

Nothing wrong with the lower control arms on my family's Dakotas except just needing new Moog lower ball joints and sway bar links.The upper control arms are fairly easy to do if the bushings or upper ball joints go bad if you soak everything good in Kroil for a few days.The inner and outer tie rod ends are easily replaced with common hand tools.

RicOshea 10-27-2018 07:01 PM

Never really heard of replacing lower control arms unless of performance upgrades or major accident. I'd take the wheels of and inspect all 4 arms and check the geometry by measuring each. Second opinion I'd say. Consider cost and time as well.
For the bearing issue ... rotate the hub and feel/listen for noise, pull on the hub/rotor to see if there is any slop. If yes replace